Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason
Florida Everblades forward Michael Huntebrinker
(Florida Everblades, Credit: Kevin Bires Photography)
ESTERO, Fla. - Down 2-0 more than halfway through the third period, the Florida Everblades scored three times in the final 10 minutes of regulation to force overtime and then struck on a power play in the extra session to upend the Orlando Solar Bears, 4-3, on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
With 2:51 left in overtime, Taylor Doherty took a slashing penalty that sent Florida to what ended up being the game-deciding power play. On a scramble in front of the net, Michael Huntebrinker punched a loose puck past Orlando netminder Zach Fucale to give the 'Blades the victory with 1:32 remaining.
The Everblades had to answer two separate deficits in the third period just to force overtime, the 2-0 deficit to start the frame and a 3-2 hole after Orlando's Cody Donaghey scored with 5:21 left in regulation. John McCarron lifted the lid on the scoring for Florida by punching in a rebound at the 11:17 mark of the third, and defenseman Adam Smith tied it at two on a rocket from the left point only one minute, 23 seconds later.
Following Donaghey's goal to put the Solar Bears back in front, the 'Blades had a quick response again to even the game at three. Tanner Jeannot, who was playing in his first game with Florida, forced a turnover deep in the offensive zone and scored on the ensuing breakaway with 3:25 to play in the third.
In the final game of the preseason, Florida received multi-point efforts from Smith (1g-1a) and Alex Tonge (2a) to split the two-game preseason series with the Solar Bears.
Appearing in his first game in net for the Everblades, Cam Johnson turned aside 25 of the 28 shots he saw to backstop Florida to the win.
After being outshot 11-8 in the opening period, Florida held a 31-17 edge in shots on goal over the final two regulation periods and overtime ... The Everblades were scoreless through the first 51:17 of game time, but then scored four goals in a span of 14 minutes, 11 seconds to finish the game ... Both sides finished 1-for-5 on the power play, coming a night after Orlando had six of the eight total man advantages ... The two-game preseason series played out in the same fashion as last year, with Orlando winning the opener and Florida earning the win in the finale.
Florida starts the regular season on the road next weekend with a two-game series against the Norfolk Admirals on Friday and Saturday. Faceoff is slated for 7:35 p.m. both nights.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Michael Huntebrinker
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit
- 'Blades Trade for Goaltender, Receive Maclise Back from AHL Loan