Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair
EXETER, NH - The Mariners scored the only goal of the third period on Saturday night, but couldn't dig out of a 4-0 hole, as they dropped their lone preseason game of 2019-20, 4-1 to the Worcester Railers. Highlights included a Ryan Ferrill fight and impressive goaltending performances by Francois Brassard and Daniel Spencer. Dawson Leedahl netted the lone Maine goal.
Worcester was first on the score sheet as forward Tommy Tsicos netted the first goal past Mariners goaltender Francois Brassard midway through the first. Brassard couldn't scramble back into the net after his feed through the middle of the ice went awry and led to a flurry of Worcester chances. The goal was assisted by Anthony Cortese and Cody Payne. Brassard made seven saves on eight shots in the first period. The Mariners ended the first period leading the shot category, with ten.
At 9:57 of the 2nd, Worcester's Jason LaVallee escaped past Rich Boyd's keep-in attempt at the Railers blue line and darted down the wing to beat Brassard and make it 2-0. Boyd was called for tripping 12:18 mark, which was quickly followed by a Worcester power play goal by Ivan Chukarov to stretch it to 3-0. Matt Schmalz added a fourth Railers goal at 16:40. Worcester forwards Schmalz and Drew Callin each finished the period with two points, and the Railers pelted 17 second period shots on Brassard and Daniel Spencer, who took over midway through the frame.
The Mariners' Ryan Ferrill dropped the gloves just 1:04 into the third against Worcester's Ross Olsson, gaining Maine some momentum. Olsson received an additional two minute minor for instigating. The Mariners were able to break through at the 9:45 mark in the third, when Dawson Leedahl cleaned up a screen shot from Dallas Rossiter, with Brett Supinski also assisting. The Mariners played a strong third period, outshooting the Railers 9-6.
The final shot totals favored Worcester, 33 to 27, Brassard and Spencer each allowing two goals. For Worcester, Jakub Skarek stopped all 16 shots he faced while Evan Buitenhuis allowed the lone goal on 11 shots.
The Mariners kick off the regular season on Friday October 11th at home when the Adirondack Thunder visit the Cross Insurance Arena for a 7:15 PM faceoff. It's the first 1-2-3 Friday of the season: $1 Aquafina water, $2 Pepsi products, and $3 Bud Light Drafts through the start of the second period. Tickets are available at MarinersOfMaine.com. Full and half season plans along with 12-game mini plans, flex packs and group tickets are also still available. For more information, go to MarinersOfMaine.com, call 833-GO-MAINE visit the Mariners front office at 94 Free St. in Portland.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.