Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indy Fuel finished off the 2019 preseason campaign against the Cincinnati Cyclones on Saturday night. The two teams faced off in the second game of the home-and-home matchup at U.S. Bank Arena on Saturday night.
Special teams was the name of the game in the opening period in Cincinnati. Darik Angeli gave the Cyclones the lead at 11:13 in the first period, putting home a pass from Justin Schultz. Indy was unsuccessful on their first and only chance at the power play in the first period when Tobie Bisson went to the box for hooking.
The Fuel began the second period on the power play and quickly capitalized. Just :26 seconds into the period, Karl El-Mir deflected home a shot by Graham Knott for his second goal of the preseason. Similar to the first period, the penalties kept coming in the second stanza. Indy was handed two minor penalties but were able to kill off both of them.
Less than two minutes into the period, Indy was handed a power play leading to a Cincinnati breakaway. Indy goaltender Chase Marchand turned aside the breakaway and the rebound, but the Cyclones Shaw Boomhower was handed a penalty shot. Boomhower was able to beat Marchand on the penalty shot to take back the Cincinnati lead. Cincinnati's Jake Smith buried a rebound with around 13 minutes to go in the third to double the Cyclones lead. Ryan Siroky put home the empty netter late in the third to seal the Cyclones 4-1 lead.
Indy opens the 2019-20 regular season on the road against the Wichita Thunder and the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday and Saturday night. Wichita hosted Indy to start the 2017-18 season, handing the Fuel two losses to start the season. The last time Indy met Kansas City, the team won the game 4-3 at Indiana Farmers Coliseum. After two more away games against the Wheeling Nailers at WesBanco Arena, the Fuel will play their first home game on October 25th and 26th against the Cincinnati Cyclones.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2019-20 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.