Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2
West Valley City, Utah - A crowd of 6165 at Maverik Center saw the Utah Grizzlies defeat the Idaho Steelheads 5-2 as Joe Wegwerth scored 2 goals and Ryan Black had 1 goal and 1 assist in the preseason opener.
Utah took a 1-0 lead 13:17 into the first as Ryan Wagner scored on a pass from Griffen Molino. Utah led 1-0 after 20 minutes of play as they outshot Idaho 9 to 6.
Ryan Black scored 2:38 into the second period to give Utah a 2-0 lead. Idaho got on the board as Zack Andrusiak 5:47 into the period. Utah made it a 3-1 game as Joe Wegwerth got it past Idaho goaltender Austin Lotz, who stopped 22 of 26 shots in the loss.
The Grizz added an unassisted shorthanded goal from Travis Barron to make it a 4-1 game. Anthony Nellis scored for Idaho to close out the second period scoring.
Wegwerth added an empty net goal with 15 seconds remaining, his second of the game. Wegwerth comes to the Grizzlies after a 4 year career at the University of Notre Dame.
Utah outshot Idaho 27 to 23. Grizzlies goaltender Mason McDonald stopped 21 of 23 shots. McDonald also got an assist on Utah's 3rd goal of the game. McDonald is coming off two seasons with the Kansas City Mavericks, where last year he had a record of 23-10-3 and a .917 save percentage with a 2.54 goals against average.
The preseason concludes on Saturday night as the same two teams meet at CenturyLink Arena in Boise. 7:00 pm face-off. Follow the game on the Grizzlies and Steelheads twitter feeds @utahgrizzlies and @steelheads.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.