Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Goaltender Chris Nell has signed a Standard Player Contract to return to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the 2019-20 season. Nell played in 27 games for the Swamp Rabbits last season in a large stint as the team's starter in the middle of the season.
Nell posted a record of 11-14-2 with a shutout in his 27 games as a Swamp Rabbit. He also played for the Maine Mariners last season, and went 4-6-0.
The Wisconsin native has AHL experience with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League on three different occasions. Nell also played for the Adirondack Thunder and the Kansas City Mavericks of the ECHL.
Nell holds a career 20-27-2 record in the ECHL, 2 shutouts, a 3.28 goals against average and a .900 save percentage in two seasons.
Prior to his pro career, Nell played at Bowling Green State University with plenty of accolades, including a Mike Richter Award nominee as the best goaltender in the NCAA in his sophomore season, along with Jim Ruehl Best Defensive Player and Jim Sears Most Valuable Player award and All-WCHA First Team honors with one of the best seasons a goaltender had ever posted with the Falcons.
Catch the Swamp Rabbits in preseason action tonight against the South Carolina Stingrays at 6:05 p.m. Tickets are just $10, or FREE for full and half season ticket holders. For tickets, call or stop by the Bon Secours Wellness Arena box office.
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits goaltender Chris Nell
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Spire Hockey South Acquires Majority Stake in Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Spire Motorsports to Showcase Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Bon Secours, in NASCAR Cup Series Darlington Doubleheader
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020-21 Home Schedule
- Liam Pecararo Scores 2019-20 ECHL Goal of the Year
- PHPA and ECHL Announce Relief Fund for ECHL Players