Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime
TULSA, OK - Tulsa fended off a comeback effort from Mountain Divisional rival Wichita, winning 2-1 in overtime on Saturday night in Wichita, Kanas.
The opening frame saw zero goals, but did host a pair of fights. Oilers' forward Connor Moynihan dropped the gloves with Sean Allen at the 5:42 mark. Mike McKee would follow up with a scrap against Michael Turner less than a minute later.
Robby Jackson opened the scoring, giving the Oilers the lead just 2:49 into the second period. Jackson made himself available in front of the net, burying a laser-guided pass from J.J. Piccinich. Goaltender Olle Eriksson Ek entered the game with 10:12 left in the period, replacing Evan Fitzpatrick, who stopped every shot he faced.
The third period didn't see any early scoring, but saw plenty of drama. Wichita's Peter Crinella crammed home a goal with 1:49 remaining. Crinella's goal, which was assisted by Brandon De Jong, was the lone goal of the frame, forcing the contest into overtime.
Tulsa didn't need the extra two minutes of overtime that comes with the ECHL's new seven-minute overtime format. Rookie defenseman Jake Clifford finished a feed from Danny Moynihan with 2:15 left in the opening frame. Clifford's goal gives Tulsa three straight preseason victories over the Thunder.
The Oilers host the Kansas City Mavericks to open the regular season on Friday, October 11th at 7:05 p.m. at the BOK Center. Opening weekend will then see the Allen Americans come to town on Saturday, October 12th, before the Oilers close out the weekend with a Sunday matinee game against the Rapid City Rush at 4:05 p.m.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers forward Scott Henegar (left) vs. the Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.