Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel
Cincinnati, OH - TheCincinnati Cyclones took down the Indy Fuel, 4-1 on Saturday night, in the final preseason game for both teams. Forwards Darik Angeli, Shaw Boomhower, Jake Smith, and Ryan Siroky scored the goals for the Cyclones.
Cincinnati opened the scoring just past the midway point of the opening period while on the power play when forward Jesse Schultz sent a pass to Angeli who buried a shot from the left circle to put the Cyclones on top, 1-0.
The 'Clones took their 1-0 lead into the locker room after the first, and in the second Indy struck with a power play goal of their own when forward Karl El-Mir netted his second of the preseason to tie the game, 1-1, just 26 seconds into the frame.
The 1-1 tie held up throughout the remainder of the frame, and in the third Cincinnati regained their lead when Boomhower scored on a shorthanded penalty shot after he was hauled down driving towards the net, putting the 'Clones back up, 2-1. Cincinnati kept attacking and found themselves up by a pair when Smith finished off a drive from Siroky at the 6:49 mark of the frame to give the Cyclones 3-1 advantage.
With 14 seconds left and facing an extra attacker, Cincinnati sealed the preseason split when Siroky fired a shot from the defensive zone into the empty net to lift the Cyclones to a 4-1 win. The Cyclones outshot Indy, 28-27 on the evening. With goaltender Michael Houser stopping 26 in the win.
Cincinnati opens up the regular season next Saturday at home against the Wheeling Nailers. Face-off is scheduled for 7:35pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones open the season with FIRST FACE-OFF on Saturday, October 12, against the Wheeling Nailers, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website , www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Buffalo Sabres & Rochester Americans
- Cyclones Sign Taylor Crunk
- Cyclones Season Delayed to January 15 with Announcement of Split-Season Format
- Mason Mitchell Returns to Cyclones for 2020-2021
- Cyclones Sign Defenseman Sean Giles