Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Outshot 19-8 in the first period, and down 2-0 in the early stages of the second period, the Greenville Swamp Rabbits could not recover from an early surge by the visiting South Carolina Stingrays in a 4-1 loss on Saturday night at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Cam Askew set the tone early for the Rays with a goal just over three minutes into the action with a dipsy doodle from the left wing side and lifted a shot over Ryan Bednard's shoulder to start the scoring.
The Rays extended their lead to 2-0 on a one-time blast from Cole Ully in the second following a bad bounce on a failed clear, but the Swamp Rabbits looked to gain some footing, and did, with use of special teams. Roman Ammirato and Mason Baptista teamed up to set up Brien Diffley, who converted on a scramble at the net front for his second goal in as many games.
The power play went 2-for-10 in the preseason.
Unfortunately for Greenville, that celebration lasted only 15 seconds. On the ensuing shift, Max Novak forced a steal in the neutral zone and bore down the left wing and converted to re-establish the two-goal advantage.
Jonathan Charbonneau put it away for the Rays with a goal of his own early in the third.
Billy Christopoulos did his best at the other end. The Air Force product made 40 saves in a masterful performance. His best work came in the third period, when the Swamp Rabbits put on a shot blitz that involved a 17-7 shot margin in favor of the home team.
Bednard was forced to hold the fort plenty as well. He made 35 saves on the night, and had his standout moment in the first period. With Dylan Steman staring at an open cage, Bednard flashed across with the blocker hand and made a sensational save to keep the game 1-0.
South Carolina swept the preseason home-and-home following a 4-2 victory last night at the Carolina Ice Palace.
The Swamp Rabbits' season begins on Saturday, October 12 against the Jacksonville Icemen in Jacksonville. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or on the ECHL's streaming video provider, ECHL.TV.
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits goaltender Ryan Bednard
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Re-Sign Brien Diffley
- Swamp Rabbits and Local Youth Organize "Cans for Kids" Food Drive for Loaves & Fishes
- Swamp Rabbits Present Qualifying Offers to Seven
- Andrew Lord Named Head Coach of Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Part Ways with Head Coach Kevin Kerr