Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals scored the first four goals, Trevor Gooch tallied twice (3 pts.) and the Reading Royals completed the 2019 preseason with a 6-1 win against the Adirondack Thunder Saturday at Cool Insuring Arena. Matty Gaudreau also recorded three points (1g), all of which came in the last half of the game.
Trevor Gorsuch (24 svs., 1 GA) earned his first preseason victory and blocked all eight shots faced in the third. Reading opens the 2019-20 season, presented by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan, on Fri., Oct. 11 at the Newfoundland Growlers at 5:30 p.m. Reading's first home game is Oct. 19.
Gooch and Aaron Huffnagle opened the scoring with unassisted markers three minutes apart in the first; Huffnagle the opening goal and Gooch provided a two-goal advantage at 8:51 of the first. Gooch then scored midway through the second to place Reading ahead by four. Michael McNiven took the loss with 28 saves (6 GA).
The first Royals' home game on Oct. 19 vs. Maine features a massive block party, games, food, drinks and a special "Downtown Alive" concert on Penn Street before the home opener.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Gooch's great night
The Royals took a 2-0 lead at 8:51 of the first when Trevor Gooch intercepted a Marly Quince pass at the far point and drove up the left wing all alone to score short-handed. The rookie from Mantua, NJ aimed short-side and bested McNiven over the pad. Gooch scored 11 goals last season at Colorado College and appeared in three games during the Royals 2018-19 regular season, including two against Adirondack. Gooch played in both Royals preseason contests.
The Royals scored three short-handed goals last season and the Thunder allowed three (fewest in league).
Gooch's second goal came on the rush as well; he danced around the Adirondack defense, fell as he shot from the right slot and scored over the blocker of McNiven at 8:30 of the second.
Willman toe drags for first goal
Reading's Max Willman gave the Royals a 3-0 advantage at 3:36 of the second. Willman lasered a wrist shot from the right circle over the glove hand and in. He took a pass from Matty Gaudreau (2a) and toe dragged before unleashing.
Willman scored one goal at Boston University last season; his fifth NCAA season.
Gorsuch makes an impression
Appearing in his first preseason game, rookie Trevor Gorsuch backstopped the Royals with two perfect periods. In the first, he blocked six shots, which included a save on a Shane Conacher breakaway. Gorsuch remained steady by blocking all shots faced over the final 21 minutes.
He made nine saves in the second.
The former Western Michigan Broncos netminder joined Toledo for the final two weeks of last regular season, going 3-1-0-0.
Reading's new five-game mini-plan includes a meal for every game, a Reading Royals Hat, an exclusive fan experience, an autographed team picture and a guaranteed giveaway for each of the 5 games. Purchase your seat or seats today by calling 610-898-7825 or by visiting https://bit.ly/2LSHBp8.
About the Royals
The Royals are entering their 19th ECHL season and are proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs 14 times, and are four-time division champions. The Berks County Convention Center Authority (BCCCA), founded in 1996, owns the Royals and oversees operations at Santander Arena and the Santander Arena Performing Arts Center.
Listen to all Royals broadcasts at Mixlr.com/ReadingRoyals or by downloading the Mixlr App from the App Store or Google Play. All Royals away games are broadcasted on BCTV (Ch. 15 Comcast, Ch. 19 Service Electric) and Mixlr.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.