Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades meet the Orlando Solar Bears on Saturday night at Hertz Arena, the second straight matchup between the in-state rivals and the final preseason tilt before the regular season begins this coming week.
Preseason - Game 2: Everblades vs. Orlando
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Watch: No live video stream
Last time out
Justin Auger and Greg Campbell both notched goals, but Florida's late comeback fell short in a 3-2 loss to the Solar Bears in the preseason opener on Friday night at Hertz Arena. Orlando's Jimmy Lodge scored in the last four minutes of the opening period and Ivan Kosorenkov tallied in the first two minutes of the second period to give Orlando a 2-0 advantage. Florida whittled the deficit to one on Auger's goal with 6:51 left in the second, but Trevor Olson responded for the Solar Bears only 2:49 later on what proved to be the game-winning strike.
The two teams have squared off on 92 occasions in the all-time series and faced each other 12 times in the regular season last season. Including two preseason matchups and five playoff tilts, they met on 19 occasions a year ago. Florida held a 6-3-2-1 mark against the Solar Bears in the regular season and earned a 4-1 series victory in the South Division Finals. With a game change announced on Friday, the two teams will go head to head 14 times in the regular season this year.
Players to Watch
Tanner Jeannot (FLA) - The second-year pro will make his Everblades debut on Saturday night in the preseason finale for Florida. Jeannot, a native of Oxbow, Saskatchewan, played all of last season in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals, suiting up in 37 games and tallying 11 points (7g-4a). He had 170 points (77g-93a) in 267 career games in the Western Hockey League with the Moose Jaw Warriors from 2014-18.
Jimmy Lodge (ORL) - After not playing professional hockey last season, Lodge scored a goal on Friday in his first game back since the 2017-18 campaign. A native of Downingtown, Pennsylvania, Lodge spent most of the 2017-18 campaign with the Jacksonville Icemen. He averaged almost a point per game with the Icemen, totaling 49 points (17g-32a) in 57 contests. Lodge has split his pro career between the AHL and ECHL, seeing action in 114 career AHL contests and 70 career ECHL contests.
Proven Penalty Kill
Though the Everblades took a bulk of the penalties in Friday's preseason contest, they finished a perfect 6-for-6 shorthanded, which included killing off a five-minute major penalty assessed to Jack Nevins. Last season, Florida was one of the best penalty-killing teams in the ECHL and especially so on home ice. The 'Blades were successful in 87.2% of their penalty kills at Hertz Arena, the fourth-best home penalty kill rate in the league.
Withstanding the Barrage
Orlando fired 18 shots on goal in the opening period on Friday night, but Everblades netminder Ken Appleby turned aside all but one of those attempts. However, it wasn't the first time Appleby has found himself in the midst of a shots frenzy at Hertz Arena. In only his second ECHL game of the season last year, Appleby, who was playing for the Jacksonville Icemen, stopped all 22 Everblades shots in the opening period of an eventual 3-2 loss to Florida.
Fans can listen to Saturday's preseason game on Mixlr. As a reminder, all of the Everblades regular season games will be carried on WJBX - News, Talk & More (104.3 FM, 101.5 FM, and 770 AM).
The two teams will close out the preseason with a 7 p.m. matchup at Hertz Arena on Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Opening Statement: Strong First Pushes 'Blades Past K-Wings
- Forward Zach Magwood Reassigned to Everblades from AHL's Admirals
- Cam Maclise Signs PTO with AHL's Chicago Wolves
- Powering Through: Power Play Pushes 'Blades to 4-2 Win
- Flying High: 'Blades Score Six to Knock off K-Wings