Steelheads Takes 4-2 Win over Walleye to Open Battle of the Fish
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Idaho Steelheads (28-16-7) extended their win streak to three-straight games and opened their "Battle of the Fish" with a 4-2 win over the Toledo Walleye (28-14-5) on Saturday night from Huntington Center.
The Walleye earned the lone goal of the first period, capitalizing on the home crowd. At 6:36, defenseman Nolan Gluchowski wristed a shot that was deflected in the slot by forward Abbott Girduckis to direct the puck toward the opposite direction, jumping ahead with a 1-0 lead.
In the second period, the Steelheads turned the score around in the span of just three minutes and 29 seconds beginning at 5:27 on a shot by forward Will Merchant from the left circle that knuckled under the cross bar for a 1-1 game. Just over one minute later at 6:46, Steelheads forward Zack Andrusiak took a baseball swing and connected for a line drive by the netminder's glove from the middle of the slot to take the 2-1 advantage. Steelheads defenseman Jeff King added to the mayhem with a shot to the top left corner of the net on a counter attack at 8:56, completing the three-unanswered stretch with a 3-1 lead. The Walleye earned one back at 17:42 on a 2-on-1 finished by forward Jimmy Lodge to cut the lead to one, 3-2.
The Steelheads held off the Walleye throughout the third period in the comeback bid, and at 19:29, Steelheads captain A.J. White sealed the deal with an empty net goal to bring the final score to 4-2.
Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (22-7-5) turned aside 28 of 30 shots in the win, while Walleye goaltender Filip Larsson (3-3-0) halted 33 of 36 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Walleye close their two-game weekend on Sunday, Feb. 16 at 3:15 p.m. MT from Huntington Center. Coverage begins at 2:55 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" and ECHL.tv.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7:10 p.m. against the Kansas City Mavericks. The Hockey Starter Pack provides the benefits of the ultimate fan on the time you want! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 15, 2020
- Elite Eight: 'Blades Sweep Gladiators, Run Home Point Streak to Eight - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Edged by Steelheads on Home Ice - Toledo Walleye
- Thunder Rolls to Snap IceMen Win Streak - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Snap Skid with Offensive Onslaught - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sandler Nets Hat Trick, But Second Period Dooms Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Hand Indy Second Straight Loss - Indy Fuel
- Wichita Comes up Short on Saturday Night in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- McAdam's Shutout Ends Thunder's Winless Skid - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Fly Past Swamp Rabbits in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Protect the Net and Serve up Six on Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Glads Leave South Florida Broken-Hearted - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steelheads Takes 4-2 Win over Walleye to Open Battle of the Fish - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Heartbroken in Charleston - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks and Grizzlies Delayed Faceoff Scheduled for 8:00pm - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Use Special Teams to Snap Growlers Home Win Streak - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Streak Halted by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Start of Saturday's Game Between Mavericks and Utah Delayed - Kansas City Mavericks
- Goaltender Colton Point Reassigned to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Preview: February 15, 2020 Utah at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Finishes Stretch of Three Straight against Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Desharnais Recalled; Pryce Signed from Quad City - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 15 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Defensemen Drake and Knodel Recalled by Phantoms - Reading Royals
- Coughlin and McArdle Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Thunder at IceMen, February 15, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Branden Troock Earns AHL Call-Up to Cleveland - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Recalled by Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Win Behind a 26-Save Shutout by Dereck Baribeau - Allen Americans
- Allen Blanks Rush Behind Baribeau's 26 Saves - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-1 Valentine's Day Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.