Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The Adirondack Thunder kept it close with only 14 available skaters, but could not prevail as they lost to the Newfoundland Growlers by a 3-1 final Saturday night at Mile One Centre.
After Nik Olsson and Mike Szmatula were scratched pre-game, Adirondack knew it would be a tough task to take down the North Division leaders. That mission did not get any easier when Marcus Power collected the game's first goal off a defensive-zone Thunder turnover. Power intercepted a pass behind the net, circled around front and roofed a quick wrist-shot by Devin Buffalo for a 1-0 Growlers lead.
Matt Bradley doubled the advantage with a goal just 62 seconds into the middle frame. Zach O'Brien took the initial shot from the right wing where Buffalo made the save but the puck trickled into the center slot. Bradley collected and ripped a wrister by the Thunder goaltender for a 2-0 advantage.
Cullen Bradshaw got the Thunder right back in the game when he finished a centering feed for his sixth score of the season. After an offensive-zone faceoff win, defenseman Kevin Lough took the puck and swung in front of the Newfoundland net. He centered a puck in the air that deflected off of Bradshaw and into the net to make it a 2-1 game.
Scott Pooley collected his second tally, the last goal of the game, near the midway mark of the final period. Derian Plouffe drove the net and caused loads of commotion in front of the Thunder cage. The puck bounced around and Buffalo could not get eyes on it - Pooley did, and had an easy tap-in behind Buffalo's back for a multi-goal game.
Adirondack returns home for its next trio of games, starting Wednesday night when the Wheeling Nailers make their first visit to Cool Insuring Arena this season. After a pair with Wheeling, the Thunder host the Brampton Beast for "Family Fun Night" Saturday evening in Glens Falls. Get your tickets now with the Stewart's Four Pack. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.