Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1
Worcester, MA - The Reading Royals tied the game late in the second, but the Worcester Railers scored the final three goals to best Reading, 4-1, Saturday at DCU Center.
Frank DiChiara scored for the third straight game with 6:20 left in the second. Worcester took the lead back, 2-1, before the end of the middle frame on a strike from Bo Brauer. Matt Schmalz scored twice for the Railers, including an insurance strike halfway through the third.
Callum Booth is 7-4-0-1 this season after allowing three goals (loss, 21 saves).
Evan Buitenhuis blocked 13 shots in the third and finished with 30 denials in victory,
The Royals host three home games in the next week, starting Wed., Jan. 16 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Manchester with postgame player autographs, pres. by Rieck's Printing.
Neither team scored in the first period. Reading took nine shots and allowed six.
Worcester's Schmalz capitalized on a slot giveaway and stashed the puck in at the slot by Booth at :35 of the second period. Brauer took it away and shoved it to Schmalz.
Reading responded to tie the game at one on a deke and five-hole goal from DiChiara (13:40 of 2nd). Kevin Goumas entered the zone up the right wing and passed it to the top of the left circle for DiChiara. The second-year forward waited, dragged it by a defender to the left slot and slid it in. Frank Hora generated the secondary assist.
Brauer stung Reading with a right-slot goal three minutes later, batting the puck out of air and over Booth's shoulder. Schmalz and David Quenneville assisted.
Schmalz netted his second of the game with a toe-drag goal at the left post at 10:18 of the third. Nick Sorkin tallied an empty-net goal with 66 seconds left.
Neither team recorded a power play and the only penalties were coincidental minors assessed against Joe Houk and Josh Holmstrom.
On Fri., Jan. 18 at 7:00 p.m., the Royals battle Brampton on Pucks 'N Paws Night with the annual wiener dog races.
Sat., Jan. 19 against Wheeling (7:00 p.m.) is a Family Four Pack game, Mascot Mania and Reading's Pediatric Cancer Awareness game with a mini-THON dance party. Get four burgers, four sodas and four tickets for $48. The first 2,500 fans will receive a PA Lottery Voucher, pres., by the PA Lottery. Plus, enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading. After the game, join Royals players at the DoubleTree across the street for a party at Cheers! Restaurant.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals' First-Ever Education Day Game January 7 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ginder Named Royals' Business Development Manager
- Royals Extend Head Coach Kirk MacDonald's Contract
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships
- Royals' MacDonald Named ECHL Equipment Manager of the Year