Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4
NORFOLK, VA- Mitch Hults and Michael Brodzinski scored in the shootout for Orlando, as the Solar Bears topped the Admirals 5-4 Saturday Night in a shootout at Scope. Despite the loss, Norfolk does gain a valuable point in the standings and now only sits four points back of the fourth place Jacksonville Icemen. Ben Duffy did extend his points streak to five games tonight with a goal and an assist.
Norfolk got on the board first with a goal from Forward Kelly Klima. Klima drew a penalty in the left corner in the Orlando zone which allowed Norfolk to get the extra attacker on the ice. Ben Duffy played the puck behind the net for Connor Hurley. Hurley fired a pass to Klima in the slot, who one-timed the shot past Corbin Boes to give Norfolk an early 1-0 lead.
Orlando tied the game on a goal from Mathieu Foget. Trevor Olsen gathered the puck at the center point and played it over to the left for Michael Brodzinski. Brodzinski slid a pass across the ice that was tipped by Foget past the sprawled Reichenbach to tie the game at one goal apiece.
Norfolk jumped back in front with a power-play goal from Ben Duffy. Norfolk was able to keep sustained pressure in the Orlando zone. Ben Duffy went to play a cross-ice pass to Hurley in front of the net, but it hit off a stick and found the back of net sliding under the pad of Boes to give Norfolk a 2-1.
Norfolk extended their lead just nine seconds later on a goal from Chris Crane on a delayed penalty. Taylor Cammarata gathered the puck behind the net after it was dumped into the Norfolk end. Cammarata passed the puck to Crane in the slot who one-timed the shot home to give Norfolk a 3-1 lead.
Later in the first, Orlando got a goal back with another tally from Mitch Hults. Trevor Olsen gathered the puck in the left circle and passed the puck to the point for Cody Donaghey. Donaghey faked a shot and slid the puck over to Hults in the right circle who shot a one-timer that beat Reichenbach over the glove to cut the Norfolk lead to 3-2 after one period.
Early in the second period, Orlando tied the game on a goal from Mike Robinson. Dylan Fitze skated the puck into the Norfolk zone. Fitze passed the puck to Colby McAuley in the left circle. McAuley shot the puck which was initially saved by Reichenbach. The rebound bounced right to the stick of Robinson who was there to slide it in past Reichenbach to tie the game at three goals after 40 minutes of play.
Orlando took the lead on a goal from Mike Monfredo. Monfredo shot the puck from the point that took the deflection off two Admirals skates and behind Reichenbach to give Orlando the 4-3 lead.
Norfolk tied the game at 8: 21 of the third on a goal from Matt McMorrow. Luke Nogard got the puck in the left circle after a failed Orlando clear. Nogard fed a cross-ice pass to the right point for Jalen Smereck. Smereck shot the puck and McMorrow tipped it over Boes to tie the game at four goals each.
Orlando killed off a Norfolk power play in the final two minutes of regulation. The game would eventually head to overtime an neither team could seal the game in the extra session.
In the shootout, Orlando received tallies from Michael Brodzinski and Mitch Hults to guide the Solar Bears to a 5-4 victory.
Corbin Boes made 34 saves on 38 shots and gets the win for Orlando, while Ty Reichenbach made 32 saves on 36 shots and takes the loss for Norfolk.
BOX SCORE / GAME SHEET
The Admirals will remain at home for a another key three-game set with the Jacksonville Icemen. Schedule provided below.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, January 16, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, January 18, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 19, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. Pink in the Rink presented by Cavalier Auto Group, takes place on Saturday, January 19 against Jacksonville. The game will be played on pink ice and the team will wear pink jerseys. Wear your pink to help us raise awareness for breast cancer prevention and research. There will free be post game "Frozen Yoga" on the ice after the game courtesy of Sky's the Limit Yoga.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Ben Duffy of the Norfolk Admirals vs. the Orlando Solar Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.