Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game
The Newfoundland Growlers broke out the brooms and extended their winning streak to five games in a 3-1 victory over the Adirondack Thunder Saturday night at Mile One Centre.
Scott Pooley opened the scoring with 2:50 left in the opening frame after stripping a Thunder defenceman from the puck and sniping it bar-down for his team-leading 16th of the season putting the Growlers ahead 1-0.
The Growlers came out of the gate hungry in the second period as Matt Bradley extended the lead to 2-0 just 1:02 into the middle frame extending his point streak to five games. Bradley looked to pick up his second of the night about 10 minutes later in the period but Devin Buffalo dove back and made an excellent save on the goal line.
Cullen Bradshaw put a stop to Brad Barone's shutout bid at 16:17 of the middle frame cleaning up a scramble in front of the net cutting the Growlers lead to just one.
Scott Pooley re-stored the two-goal lead for the Growlers with 10:48 left in the third period tucking home a loose puck for a 3-1 lead.
The Thunder pulled Dillon Kelley for an extra attacker but good defensive play by the Growlers preserved the 3-1 victory.
Marcus Power saw his goal streak end at five games
Brad Barone has won back-to-back starts
The three stars were 3 - B. Barone (NFL), 2 - M. Bradley (NFL) and 1 - S. Pooley (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers hit the road for a five-game road trip beginning Wednesday night in Portland, Maine for a matchup with the Mariners. Puck drop is 8:30 p.m. Catch all the action with Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.