Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019
Who: Norfolk Admirals (15-19-2-2, 34 pts) vs. Orlando Solar Bears (18-15-3-0, 39 pts)
Where: Norfolk Scope Arena
When: 7:00 p.m.
Tickets: Purchase Now Online CLICK HERE, or at the Scope Box Office
Regular Season Series: Norfolk Leads 2-1-1
All-Time Series: Orlando leads 10-6-3
Game Broadcast: Free audio stream on Mixlr
Internet TV Broadcast: Available on ECHL.TV
About Tonight's Game: The two teams close out their pivotal three-game set this week at Scope. The Admirals grabbed the first game of the week on Wednesday 5-2, but the Solar Bears flipped the script last night with a 4-2 victory, holding off a Norfolk comeback bid. With four-point swings in the standings in play, the Admirals have an opportunity to pull within three points of the fourth place Solar Bears with a win in regulation this evening.
About the Admirals: Forward Matt Duffy is currently riding a four-game point streak, and now leads the Admirals in points with 30. Duffy has scored three goals in the two games with Orlando this week. Darik Angeli has now scored in back-to-back game and has recorded points in nine of his last 13 games played....Defenseman Jalen Smereck leads all rookie defensemen with 26 points (3g, 23a)....The Admirals are 10-0-0-0 when leading after two periods this season.
Admirals Team Leaders
Points: Ben Duffy (30)
Goals: Taylor Cammarata, Luke Nogard (12)
Assists: Jalen Smereck (23)
Plus/Minus: Cody Smith (+3)
Penalty Minutes: Jacob Graves (66)
Power Play Goals: TJ Melancon (5)
Shorthanded Goals: Domenic Alberga** (3)
Shots: TJ Melancon (111)
Wins: Ty Reichenbach (9)
Save %: Merrick Madsen (0.922)
GAA: Merrick Madsen (2.67)
**Denotes player currently in AHL
About the Solar Bears: The Solar Bears struck first in Friday's game, and are now 12-2-1 when scoring first. Mathieu Foget now leads the Solar Bears with 25 points and has points in nine of his last ten games....Meanwhile Jonne Tammela remains a thorn in the side of the Admirals, leading the Solar Bears with five points (3g, 2a) against Norfolk this season....Orlando received some reinforcements from the American Hockey League (AHL) today, as defenseman Cody Donaghey and Michael Brodzinski returned to the team and is expected to play tonight.
Solar Bears Team Leaders
Points: Mathieu Foget (25)
Goals: Mathieu Foget (10)
Assists: Brent Pedersen ** (15)
Plus/Minus: Several tied (+5)
Penalty Minutes: Mike Monfredo (112)
Power Play Goals: Mitch Hults (3)
Shorthanded Goals: Hunter Fejes** (3)
Shots: Cody Donaghey (88)
Wins: Corbin Boes (7)
Save %: Corbin Boes (.894)
GAA: Charlie Millen (3.52)
**Denotes player currently in AHL
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, January 16, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, January 18, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 19, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. Pink in the Rink presented by Cavalier Auto Group, takes place on Saturday, January 19 against Jacksonville. The game will be played on pink ice and the team will wear pink jerseys. Wear your pink to help us raise awareness for breast cancer prevention and research. There will free be post game "Frozen Yoga" on the ice after the game courtesy of Sky's the Limit Yoga.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Norfolk Admirals defenseman Chase Harrison (left) vs. the Orlando Solar Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.