Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory
NORFOLK, Va. - The Orlando Solar Bears (18-15-3-0) built a 3-0 lead and survived a third period comeback attempt from the Norfolk Admirals (15-19-2-2) to skate away with a 4-2 win on Friday night at the Norfolk Scope.
The Solar Bears established a 2-0 lead in a 60-second span early in the first period, as Dylan Fitze redirected a shot from Chris LeBlanc past Merrick Madsen at the 2:44 mark for his fifth of the season.
Jonne Tammela buried his eighth of the season a minute later after Myles McGurty broke the puck out of the defensive zone to Mathieu Foget, who slid a pass through the legs of a Norfolk defender to Tammela, who lit the lamp at 3:44 to extend Orlando's edge.
Kevin Lohan netted his first pro goal - and the eventual game-winner - during a 4-on-4 sequence in the second period to make it 3-0 for the Solar Bears, as the defenseman cranked a shot from the right circle past the glove of Madsen.
Mike Monfredo appeared to have extended the Solar Bears edge to four goals at the 7:13 mark when he gloved the puck down and batted it into the net, but the defenseman was ruled to have closed his hand on the puck, negating the potential score and sending Orlando to the penalty kill.
Mere seconds after the penalty to Monfredo expired, the Admirals buried their first of the evening at 9:15 off a face-off play that ended with Ben Duffy tucking the puck past Corbin Boes.
After Colby McAuley was assessed a match penalty for a hit on Taylor Cammarata, the Admirals cut Orlando's lead back to one goal when Darik Angeli scored a power-play goal at 17:18, bringing the score to 3-2 in favor of Orlando.
The Admirals pulled Madsen for an extra skater late in the game, but Trevor Olson sealed the game for the Solar Bears with an unassisted empty-net tally at 19:32 for his sixth goal of the season.
Boes earned his seventh victory of the season with 27 saves on 29 shots against; Madsen took the loss for Norfolk with 23 stops on 26 shots against.
1) Kevin Lohan - ORL
2) Corbin Boes - ORL
3) Jonne Tammela - ORL
The victory for Orlando improved the Solar Bears to a 2-2-0-0 record against Norfolk this season.
Lohan led Orlando with four shots on goal.
Foget finished the night with two assists, extending his point streak to six games (2g-5a).
Mitch Hults assisted on Lohan's goal, giving the forward a three-game point streak (1g-4a).
Tammela now has a two-game goal streak (2g).
McGurty now has a two-game assist streak (2a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears conclude their three-game set with the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. at the Norfolk Scope. The Solar Bears return home to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday. Fans can take advantage of $5 wine specials during the game.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.