Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks were defeated by the Cincinnati Cyclones Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Cyclones two goals were accompanied by 32 saves by Cincinnati goaltender Michael Houser. The Mavs and Cyclones split the two-game weekend set with the Mavs after Kansas City's thrilling 7-6 overtime victory on Friday night.
The Mavs and Cyclones skated a full 20 minutes without a goal from either side and both teams combined for three penalties in the period. The Mavericks outshot the Cyclones 9-3 in the perios and the Cyclones did not register a shot for the first 11 minutes of the game.
The Cyclones grabbed the lead in the second period when Andrew DeBrincat scored a power play goal 9:30 into the frame. Vasili Glotov and Brady Vail tacked assists onto the goal. The Cyclones narrowly outshot the Mavericks in the period, 9-8.
Cincinnati doubled their lead six minutes into the final frame on a goal from Jesse Schultz. Myles Powell got the assist on the goal. The Cyclones kept the Mavs out of their net for the remainder of regulation and defeated the Mavericks on a final score of 2-0.
The Mavericks also retired their first number in franchise history in a pregame ceremony honoring former player Sebastien Thinel. Thinel is the Mavericks all-time points and assists leader, was the 2012-13 CHL MVP and four-time captain of the Mavericks. His number 43 jersey now hangs in the rafters at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
MAVS QUICK NOTES
Back-to-Back Home Splits: The Mavericks have now split two consecutive two game home series. Last weekend against the Rapid City Rush and this weekend against Cincinnati.
Wichita Calling: The Mavs long-time rival Wichita Thunder come to town next weekend for a home-and-home weekend set. Friday's game will be in Wichita and Saturday's tilt will take place at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Honoring a Legend: The Mavericks honored legendary former captain, Sebastien Thinel with a pregame jersey retirement ceremony. Thinel's number 43 is the first retired jersey in the franchise's 10-year history. Thinel is the Mavs all-time leader in points and assists, the 2012-13 CHL MVP, CHL all-star and four-time Mavericks captain.
The Mavericks split a home-and-home series with the Wichita Thunder next weekend. Friday night's game will be played in Wichita on January 18, while the Mavericks return home to faceoff against the Thunder at 7:05 p.m on January 19 at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. For more information, visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.