Senators Beaten by Special Teams in Laval
The Belleville Senators surrendered three power play goals and a short-handed goal in a 4-2 loss to the Laval Rocket Wednesday night at Place Bell.
Belleville had goals from Jack Rodewald (2) while Filip Gustavsson made 21 saves. Jake Evans, Byron Froese, Alex Alain and Daniel Audette scored for Laval with Conner LaCouvee turning aside 25 shots.
The Rocket struck first on the power play at 6:48 through Evans who took Daniel Audette's cross-ice feed before beating Gustavsson but Belleville found an equalizer through Rodewald on an extended power play as he buried Stefan Elliott's pass from essentially the goal line for his 13th of the year.
Laval took a 2-1 lead at 2:43 of the second on a short-handed goal by Froese as he converted Alex Belzile's centering pass on an odd-man rush but the Senators would again find a response as Rodewald converted on the power play. After taking Logan Brown's pass, Rodewald was stopped by LaCouvee in close but the loose puck hit Laval defenceman Xavier Ouelett and bounced in as the Sens made it a 2-2 game just 49 seconds later.
Alain would give Laval its third lead of the night at 7:47 as on the power play once again, the Laval forward wired a one-timer from the slot for his sixth of the year to give his side a 3-2 lead.
Audette pushed the Rocket lead to 4-2 at 9:42 as once again the hosts converted on the power play as he was left all alone back door to bury his seventh of the year.
Senators defenceman Cody Goloubef recorded his first point with Belleville with an assist on Rodewald's second goal of the game.
The Sens are in Syracuse Friday night before they return home Jan. 25 to host the Marlies. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2019
- Fritz scores twice in Bridgeport's third straight loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Fall in Manitoba - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sproul Wins It in Overtime for Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Blow by Bridgeport 6-4 - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators Beaten by Special Teams in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Young Guns Lead Comets to Victory over Crunch - Utica Comets
- Devils Collect Point in 1-0 OT Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Offense Can't Find Touch in Road Loss to Phantoms - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Topped by Comets, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Ink Spezia to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Acquires Pontus Aberg from Anaheim Ducks - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Three from Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moldenhauer and Thomas Sent to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Set Date for 2nd Annual Great Skate Event - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winter Returns Just in Time for the Great Skate Winterfest this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Saturday's Game at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Moved to 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Saturday Game Time Changed to 3:05 p.m. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Ink Terrence Wallin to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers' Annual NASCAR Night Is Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Return Friday for Fleece Blanket Giveaway, $2 Bud Light - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat, Condors Open Two-Game Set Wednesday - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Cam Schilling from Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Erik Condra - Texas Stars
- Drink Specials Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, January 16 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Road Swing Continues Wednesday at Lehigh Valley - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Texas Trip Reaches Tough Conclusion as Rampage Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- MacIntyre Gives Rampage 11th Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.