Sproul Wins It in Overtime for Hershey
(Binghamton, NY)- Ryan Sproul rises as the overtime hero, and the Hershey Bears win a 1-0 overtime thriller over the Binghamton Devils on Wednesday night at the Floyd L. Mains Veterans Memorial Arena. Ilya Samsonov stopped all 16 shots to record back-to-back shutouts.
For the first time this season, the Bears and their opponent went 60 scoreless minutes in regulation. Hershey went 0-for-6 on the power play, including 0-for-4 in the first period, and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. Into the 3-on-3 overtime period, Sproul fielded a clean, head-man pass from Mike Sgarbossa, and bolted into the offensive zone on a breakaway. A top-shelf shot beat Devils goaltender Cam Johnson at 3:20 of the overtime period.
The 16 shots allowed by the Bears is a new season low, beating the previous mark of 18. Samsonov is the first Hershey goaltender to record back-to-back shutouts since Pheonix Copley on October 19 and 26, 2014. Copley's first of the two shutouts also came in a 1-0 overtime final. Hershey now rides a three-game winning streak, which ties a season high. The victory snapped Binghamton's four-game winning streak.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Saturday for a 3:05 p.m. road tilt against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2019
- Fritz scores twice in Bridgeport's third straight loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Fall in Manitoba - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sproul Wins It in Overtime for Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Blow by Bridgeport 6-4 - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators Beaten by Special Teams in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Young Guns Lead Comets to Victory over Crunch - Utica Comets
- Devils Collect Point in 1-0 OT Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Offense Can't Find Touch in Road Loss to Phantoms - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Topped by Comets, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Ink Spezia to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Acquires Pontus Aberg from Anaheim Ducks - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Three from Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moldenhauer and Thomas Sent to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Set Date for 2nd Annual Great Skate Event - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winter Returns Just in Time for the Great Skate Winterfest this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Saturday's Game at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Moved to 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Saturday Game Time Changed to 3:05 p.m. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Ink Terrence Wallin to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers' Annual NASCAR Night Is Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Return Friday for Fleece Blanket Giveaway, $2 Bud Light - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat, Condors Open Two-Game Set Wednesday - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Cam Schilling from Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Erik Condra - Texas Stars
- Drink Specials Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, January 16 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Road Swing Continues Wednesday at Lehigh Valley - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Texas Trip Reaches Tough Conclusion as Rampage Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- MacIntyre Gives Rampage 11th Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.