Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, January 16
Wednesday's contest for the Belleville Senators carries a ton of weight as they look to kickstart their playoff push with an important North Division clash against the Laval Rocket.
Belleville (18-21-2-0) sits in a tie for seventh place in the North with the Rocket with both teams currently five points out of a playoff spot and three points behind sixth place Binghamton. The Sens' 21 regulation losses are the most in the AHL
Laval (16-17-3-3) have only lost three times in regulation over its last 10 games but have had issues scoring all year as their 105 goals are the second fewest in the Eastern Conference.
The Senators hold a 6-13-2-0 record away from CAA Arena while Laval boasts a healthy 11-7-2-3 record at Place Bell.
The Senators got some welcome additions Monday as Darren Archibald and Stefan Elliott were reassigned back to Belleville. The team also released defenceman Chris Carlisle from his PTO with the team.
With another three in four this week, head coach Troy Mann will have to figure out his goaltending plans. But with Filip Gustavsson starting every game last week, the option of that again this week cannot be dismissed.
The team's have already met six times this year with each team holding a 3-3 record. The home team has won five of the six meetings with the lone exception being Belleville's win in Laval on Oct. 31, the first meeting of the year between the two teams.
Who to watch
Newly acquired Morgan Klimchuk made his presence felt Saturday in only his second game with the Sens as he had a goal and an assist. In 32 games with Belleville, Toronto and Stockton this year, Klimchuk has six goals and 12 points.
Laval blue-liner Xavier Ouellette, a veteran of 160 NHL games, has put up eight assists in his 13 games with the Rocket since his reassignment.
Where to watch
Wednesday's game starts at 7:30pm and can also be seen on AHLTV. Fans can also watch tonight's contest at Shoeless Joe's in Belleville.
The radio broadcast on CJBQ 800 begins at 7:20pm with Jack Miller on the call.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2019
- Fritz scores twice in Bridgeport's third straight loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Fall in Manitoba - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sproul Wins It in Overtime for Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Blow by Bridgeport 6-4 - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators Beaten by Special Teams in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Young Guns Lead Comets to Victory over Crunch - Utica Comets
- Devils Collect Point in 1-0 OT Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Offense Can't Find Touch in Road Loss to Phantoms - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Topped by Comets, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Ink Spezia to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Acquires Pontus Aberg from Anaheim Ducks - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Three from Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moldenhauer and Thomas Sent to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Set Date for 2nd Annual Great Skate Event - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winter Returns Just in Time for the Great Skate Winterfest this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Saturday's Game at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Moved to 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Saturday Game Time Changed to 3:05 p.m. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Ink Terrence Wallin to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers' Annual NASCAR Night Is Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Return Friday for Fleece Blanket Giveaway, $2 Bud Light - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat, Condors Open Two-Game Set Wednesday - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Cam Schilling from Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Erik Condra - Texas Stars
- Drink Specials Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, January 16 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Road Swing Continues Wednesday at Lehigh Valley - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Texas Trip Reaches Tough Conclusion as Rampage Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- MacIntyre Gives Rampage 11th Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.