Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins lost to the Texas Stars, 5-3, on Saturday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-8-2-1) erupted for three goals in less than four minutes on their annual Teddy Bear Toss Night, but that eruption of offense was enough as an early third-period goal by Texas foiled the Penguins for the second game in a row.
Texas put the game's first tally on the board at 15:10 of the first period. Jason Roberston scored with the help of Joel L'Esperance on a two-on-one rush by sliding a shot through Emil Larmi's five-hole. Roberston notched his second goal of the night on another odd-man opportunity in the first period, but this time, his marker came with less than a second left in the opening frame.
Down 2-0, the Penguins notched their first goal of the game on a tip-in by Sam Miletic at 4:38 of the middle frame. Miletic's goal set off the Teddy Bear Toss, with thousands of stuffed animals raining down on the ice by crowd to be donated to Operation Santa Claus operating out of Tobyhana Army Depot.
With a five-on-three power play, David Warsofsky tied the game at 7:17. The Penguins then leapt into a 3-2 lead on their remaining man-advantage time following the five-on-three. Zach Trotman unloaded a slap shot to the back of the net for the go-ahead goal and his 100th pro point.
The Stars evened the scales again, 3-3, at 11:48 of the middle frame on a power-play goal by Joel L'Esperance.
Just 15 seconds into the final period, Joel Kiviranta took a weird bounce in the Penguins' zone and slid it across the goal line for what became the game-winning goal. Nicholas Caamano eventually tacked on an empty-net goal for the Stars to lock up the win.
Larmi recorded 28 saves in the loss for the Penguins, while Landon Bow posted 26 stops for the win.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Sunday, Dec. 8, against the Hershey Bears at Giant Center. The Penguins next home game is Wednesday, Dec. 18 against the Providence Bruins. Puck drop between the Penguins and Bruins is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Islanders
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Weekly
- D'Orio Returns to Pens, Nappier Reassigned to Nailers
- Pittsburgh Recalls Drew O'connor
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1
- Penguins' Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Checkers