Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence
Providence, RI - Richard Bachman made 41 saves in his season debut and helped the Utica Comets earn a point, but they couldn't prevail during a shootout in a 3-2 loss to the Providence Bruins on Saturday at Dunkin Donuts Center.
The first period of action saw chances galore, but neither team capitalized on their opportunities during the opening 20 minutes of action. Bachman was fantastic in the period, denying 16 shots on goal from the Bruins, while Dan Vladar made eight saves of his own during a goalie-centric stanza that went into the break in a scoreless tie.
Early in the second period the Bruins broke through and tallied the first of the night after a heady play from Paul Carey, whose dump in was chased down by Robert Lantosi, who quickly sent a shot to the goal. Bachman made a pad save, but the long rebound was one-touched in by Carey for his 12th of the year.
Utica needed 15 minutes to respond, but they eventually did before the break while operating on their second power play of the game. Winning a faceoff and establishing possession, Reid Boucher fired a backdoor pass to Justin Bailey, who easily steered it into the net. The goal was the Comets' 11th straight game with a power play marker and Bailey's fourth in a row with a goal.
Breaking the stalemate at the 7:18 mark of the third, former Comet Brendan Gaunce capitalized on a neutral zone takeaway and zipped a wrist shot into the top corner of the net for his seventh of the season.
With under three minutes to go, the Comets generated extended pressure in the attacking zone and, after multiple zone holds from Olli Juolevi, Utica tied the game at two. Juolevi knifed the puck to Reid Boucher who, assisted by a screen from Sven Baertschi, whipped a shot into the top corner of the goal for his league-leading 17th of the season.
The late goal forced overtime, where no winner was generated, setting the stage for a shootout. Scoring in the opening round of the shootout was Lantosi, whose goal was the only one in the skills competition, helping Providence to a 3-2 triumph.
The Comets return to the ice Monday night against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Puck drop at Webster Bank Arena is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Comets Keep Turkey Delivery an Annual Tradition
- MASL November Update
- Comets and Adirondack Bank Center to Host CNY Veteran's Outreach Center Food Donation Event
- Canucks Sign Defenseman Guillaume Brisebois to a One-Year, Two Way Contract
- Canucks Sign Center Jayce Hawryluk to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract