Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch rolled past the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 5-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Alex Volkov recorded a four-point night with a goal and three assists to lead the Crunch followed by Taylor Raddysh with two goals and a helper. The win advances the Crunch to 13-9-2-0 on the season and 2-0-0-0 in the four-game season series.
Goaltender Martin Spencer earned the win with 29 saves between the pipes for the Crunch. Jakub Skarek turned aside 27-of-32 in net for the Sound Tigers. Syracuse went 1-for-3 on the power play and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch jumped out to a quick lead with an early goal 1:44 into the game. Volkov circled the puck around the zone and dropped it off for Cameron Gaunce at the blue line. The defenseman skated into the high slot and sent home a wrister. Ben Thomas earned the secondary helper.
Syracuse doubled their lead at the 7:22 mark when Raddysh redirected Volkov's shot from the left point. Gaunce tallied his second point of the night on the marker.
The Sound Tigers finally responded and stole one back 5:06 into the middle frame. Parker Wotherspoon came in and went bar down with a wrister from the right circle. Colin McDonald and Matt Lorito earned the assists.
Late in the period, Volkov grabbed the puck in the neutral zone and beat Skarek on a shorthanded breakaway. Chris Mueller and Thomas earned points on the play.
Nine minutes into the final frame, Bridgeport scored another to come back within one. Sebastian Aho dug the puck out from the end boards for Tom Kuhnhackl to shoot from the slot. His attempt was blocked but Nick Schilkey followed behind to clean up the rebound.
The Crunch added two more in the third period to lock in the victory. At 11:17, Raddysh one-timed his second of the night from the left circle on the power play. Cal Foote and Cory Conacher helped on the goal. Less than a minute later, Volkov forced a turnover behind the net. Raddysh grabbed the puck and centered it for Mueller to finish off from between the circles.
The Crunch travel to face the Providence Bruins on Wednesday at 6:05 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Cameron Gaunce is on a two-game goal scoring streak...Cory Conacher played in his 200th Crunch game tonight...Taylor Raddysh recorded his first career multi-goal game tonight...Alex Volkov had his first four-point performance since Dec. 22, 2017 against Belleville.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith