Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - Manitoba native Jermaine Loewen's first AHL goal sparked the Chicago Wolves to a 4-2 victory over the Manitoba Moose on Saturday night at Bell MTS Place.
Defenseman Dylan Coghlan and forwards Reid Duke and Lucas Elvenes also scored for the Wolves (11-14-2-0), who earned their first victory this season when outshooting their opponent. Goaltender Oscar Dansk (6-6-0) rejected 25 shots in the win.
Manitoba (13-13-0-0) took a 1-0 lead at 11:40 of the first. While skating away from the net, right wing Kristian Reichel fired a wrister from 10 feet inside the blue line. The puck zipped between two Moose and two Wolves battling in front of the crease and wound up in the back of the net.
Loewen, the 21-year-old Jamaica native adopted by an Arborg, Manitoba, family when he was five, pulled the Wolves even with 1:08 left in the first. Coghlan sent a wrister toward the net, where Loewen fought off a defenseman and redirected Coghlan's shot over goaltender Griffin Outhouse's left shoulder.
Just 32 seconds later, Coghlan pounced on a bouncing puck above the right faceoff circle and ripped a riser that flew through traffic and past Outhouse just under the crossbar for a 2-1 Wolves lead.
Duke gave the Wolves a 3-1 lead 6:50 into the second period. Valentin Zykov collected the puck at the red line, escaped two defenders while carrying the puck into the offensive zone and teed it for Duke to deliver a rising blast from the top of the right circle.
The Wolves added an important insurance goal after Manitoba's Seth Griffith took a high-sticking double minor midway through the third period. Elvenes capitalized with 4:07 left when he snapped a top-shelf shot from the right faceoff circle. The rookie's power-play tally pushed the lead to 4-1 as he knocked Outhouse's water bottle off the net to the ice.
Manitoba's JC Lipon tipped home a shot with 2:33 remaining to cut the Wolves' margin to 4-2. The Moose removed Outhouse from the ice in the waning seconds to try to get closer, but Chicago held firm. Outhouse (1-1-0) finished with 32 saves.
The Wolves wrap up their four-game road trip Friday at Milwaukee before returning to Allstate Arena on Saturday, Dec. 14, for Star Wars Night. To get a special Star Wars ticket package that features a light saber, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Islanders
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.