4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (14-13-0-0) saw their fans launch 4,887 bears onto the ice as part of the 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss pres. by Teddy Bear Pools & Spas, but they fell, 4-3, against the Laval Rocket (14-10-3-0) on Saturday night at the MassMutual Center.
The teddy bears would have to wait after Jake Evans opened the scoring on a Rocket power play at 7:42 of the first. Springfield goaltender Philippe Desrosiers stopped the first two Laval power play shots, but off a face-off, Evans deflected a Josh Brook shot in behind the goal line to vault the Rocket to a 1-0 lead.
Just 39 seconds later, ex-Rocket Daniel Audette continued his reign of terror on his old team, beating Charlie Lindgren over the right-hand catching glove to bring the 4,887 bears down from all areas of the MassMutual Center to tie the game, 1-1.
After the clean-up, and with an injured Lindgren replaced by Keith Kinkaid in the Rocket net, the T-Birds just kept gaining steam, and on their first power play of the night, Thomas Schemitsch scored his first goal of the season on a one-time slapper past Kinkaid at 18:36, from Dryden Hunt and Audette.
Springfield's power play, 4-for-6 on its first half-dozen power plays against the Rocket in two games, picked up another one at 11:52 of the second. Hunt parked himself on the goal line, and after Anthony Greco forced a rebound on jam shot from the left side, Joel Lowry pried the puck free to tap it over to Hunt, who lifted his second goal of the season into the top shelf.
Despite holding the 3-1 lead into the third period, the Thunderbirds could not hold off the charging Rocket in the final period. Evans picked up his second goal when he crashed the back pipe and deflected a Ryan Poehling pass into the net behind Desrosiers to make it 3-2 at 3:14.
Just over three minutes later, the Rocket got the game even when Kevin Lynch deflected a point shot to the short side of Desrosiers at 6:23 to tie the game, 3-3.
Springfield had a pair of power play chances to retake the lead, but Kinkaid steadied his game, finishing with 23 saves on 25 shots in relief.
The Rocket used their power play to complete their comeback as Riley Barber jabbed a backhand rebound past Desrosiers with just 3:22 to play to give Laval a stunning win.
Springfield will look to get back on track on Friday night as they welcome the Binghamton Devils to the MassMutual Center at 7:05 p.m.
ï»¿For more ticket information or to become a 2019-20 Springfield Thunderbirds ticket package member, or to purchase single game tickets, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Islanders
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Dakota Joshua from T-Birds
- T-Birds' Leading Scorer Perunovich Named AHL Player of Week
- T-Birds Pull Away in 3rd Period Explosion in Providence
- T-Birds Secure Point, But Isles Steal Victory in OT
- T-Birds Extend Season-Opening Win Streak to Three Games