Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild (12-9-2-2; 28 pts.) couldn't overcome a quick start by the Tucson Roadrunners (18-5-0-0; 36 pts.), losing 4-1 Saturday evening.
Tucson got on the board first, scoring two goals in 76 seconds to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Defenseman Kyle Capobianco opened the scoring as he danced through the Wild defense before sneaking a shot between goaltender Mat Robson (18 saves) and the post for his third tally of the season, coming at 6:00 in the first period. Then at 7:16, forward Kevin Hancock took a shot on net that deflected off forward Jon Martin and over Robson for the score.
The Roadrunners extended their lead to 3-0 as forward Brayden Burke netted a power-play goal at 13:48 in the first stanza for his 11th tally of the season. Forward Nick Merkley sent a cross-ice pass to Burke inside the left circle and he blistered a snap shot past the sliding Robson for the goal.
At the end of the first period, Tucson led 3-0 and outshot the Wild 11-7.
Tucson made it four straight tallies as Martin scored his second of the contest at 7:35 in the second period. Hancock tossed the puck from behind the goal line into the crease, where it bounced off a Wild player's skate, creating a scramble in front. The puck popped into the air and Martin batted it into the back of the net for the score.
Gerry Mayhew broke the Roadrunner's shutout at 17:26 in the middle frame, cutting Iowa's deficit to 4-1. While on the penalty kill, Mayhew forced a turnover at the Wild's blueline and sprung himself for a breakaway. He then rocketed a shot over the glove of goaltender Ivan Prosvetov (26 saves) for his team-leading 14th goal and second shorthanded tally of the season. Defenseman Keaton Thompson was credited with the lone assist on the tally, which gave Mayhew the second-most goals in the AHL.
Heading into the third period, Iowa trailed 4-1 with Tucson leading in shots 18-13.
Neither team found the back of the net and at the final horn, Tucson earned the 4-1 victory. The Wild finished the game outshooting the Roadrunners 27-22. Iowa went 0-for-2 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Iowa and Tucson meet again Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Islanders
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.