Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland
The Belleville Senators scored a touchdown in a 7-1 win over the Cleveland Monsters Saturday night.
Alex Formenton (2), Max Veronneau (2), Drake Batherson, Josh Norris and Rudolfs Balcers scored for the Senators while Marcus Hogberg made 29 saves. Cleveland's Matiss Kivlenieks turned away 25 shots while Markus Hannikainen found the back of the net.
It took all of 28 seconds for the teddy bears to fly at CAA Arena as he tucked home a rebound after Michael Carcone's initial shot had been saved as the rookie forward bagged his 10th goal of the season.
Hannikainen's fourth of the season tied the game at 7:26 but Belleville would go into the first intermission with a 2-1 lead thanks to Veronneau as Filip Chlapik spun out of the neutral zone before sending a saucer pass to Veronneau who buried his fourth of the season for a 2-1 advantage.
It was 3-1 4:46 into the second as Batherson intercepted a pass at the blue line where he looked off Rudolfs Balcers to fool Kivlenieks before beating him short-side for his 10th of the year.
Formenton had his second of the night on a penalty shot at 8:23 as he was tripped by Doyle Somerby and then beat Kivlenieks with a nice forehand backhand move up-high. Norris made it 5-1 at 16:49 as he stayed patient on a mad scramble out front to beat Kivlenieks low with a forehand in the crease.
Veronnea had his first multi-goal game of the year at 14:50 as on an odd-man rush led by Morgan Klimchuk, his centering pass was blocked but a trailing Veronneau was on hand to bury the loose puck out front. Balcers made it 7-1 with 2:58 to play as he finished off a nice passing play for his sixth of the season.
Balcers tied Batherson's franchise record of 10 straight games with at least a point.
Belleville is back at it Friday night when they host the Rockford Ice Hogs for the first time in franchise history. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Iowa Defeated by Tuscon 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Chicago 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Drop December Opener in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Lorito extends point streak to four games; Schilkey scores for second straight game in setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick, Assign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Goaltenders Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Texas Completes Weekend Sweep of Wilkes-Barre with 5-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Leads Pack Offense in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Flurry Not Enough in Penguins' Loss to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- Vanecek Stands Tall, Pitches Shutout against Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Stumble in 7-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Loewen Boosts Wolves Past Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Defeated By Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals Hold Down Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Tie Late, Pick up Point in Providence - Utica Comets
- Kaskisuo, Marlies Hold off Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Marlies Host Rampage in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jan Drozg Joins Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- David Sklenicka Contract Terminated - Laval Rocket
- Heat, Condors Face off on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 7, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 23 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Explode for Nine, End Reign 9-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Pours Goals on Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Shrug off Early Deficit in 3-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.