Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee
Des Moines, IA - Kyle Rau scored twice and helped the Iowa Wild jump out to an early 2-0 lead that they never relinquished as the Wild defeated the Rockford IceHogs, 4-1, in a Monday-afternoon matinee at Wells Fargo Arena.
Iowa goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen made 18 stops in the game. The rookie netminder remains unbeaten against Rockford, allowing just two goals in five appearances against the IceHogs this season.
Hunter Warner got Iowa on the board 2:11 into the game, tapping home the rebound of a shot from Mike Liambis. Then Rau tallied his first of the afternoon on the power play to extend the Iowa lead with 4:32 remaining in the frame.
Terry Broadhurst trimmed the Rockford deficit in half in the second period. Dylan Sikura waited behind the net with the puck, then found Broadhurst in front for a redirection past the blocker of Kahkonen. The goal broke a 23-game goal-scoring drought for Broadhurst that dated back to late October.
Rau potted his second of the afternoon 10:23 into the third period, giving Iowa its two-goal lead back to quiet the IceHogs comeback effort. Iowa was able to stymy the Rockford attack for the remainder of the contest, and Will Bitten added an empty-net insurance marker with under a minute remaining.
Next home game: Fri. Jan. 25, 7 p.m. vs. Manitoba Moose
The IceHogs take on the Manitoba Moose this Friday at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free T-shirt, courtesy of Toyota.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2019
- Admirals Dominate Rampage in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brandon Pirri Bobblehead Night Set for February 2 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Graves Recalled by Avalanche, Lindholm Returns to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Set to Become the Kentucky Thoroughblades on February 2nd - San Jose Barracuda
- Purchase Condors Tickets for Local Cancer Organizations - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman John Nyberg Reassigned from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Week 16 Report: Road Woes End as Hogs Win One of Four - Rockford IceHogs
- Less Than 100 Tickets Left for Senators Game against Toronto Saturday Night - Belleville Senators
- Sean Walker and Austin Wagner Rejoin Reign - Ontario Reign
- Bears Weekly: Five-Game Win Streak Has Hershey Rolling - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 22-27 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Cracknell - San Diego Gulls
- Falk Reassigned to Belleville After Clearing Waivers - Belleville Senators
- First-Place Griffins Conclude Homestand against Moose, Barracuda - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 22 - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: As All-Star Break Approaches, Penguins Travel to Bridgeport and Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- A Look Back at the Legendary Belleville McFarland's - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Goaltender Martin Ouellette to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan Three Players to Springfield (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Lose Seesaw Battle 6-5 in Overtime - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Work Overtime for Fifth Straight Win, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ouellet Lifts Laval to 4-3 Overtime Victory over Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Respond, Rally to Defeat Texas by a 6-3 Count - Tucson Roadrunners
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Louie Belpedio to Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback
- Limited Lanes Available for Bowl-A-Thon
- Super Hero Night, Discovery Night Cap Six-Game Homestand
- Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars
- Week 19 Report: Season-Long Winning Streak Capped at 6