Ouellet Lifts Laval to 4-3 Overtime Victory over Springfield
SPRINGFIELD - Ten different players registered at least a point in the Laval Rocket's 4-3 overtime victory over the Springfield Thunderbirds at MassMutual Center on Monday night, making it five straight games that the Rocket have earned at least one point in the standings for their hunt to make the playoffs.
A powerplay goal for the Thunderbirds got them on the board early in the first period as Tomas Jurco's wrist shot went through traffic and behind Michael McNiven, who made 38 saves in the Rocket's victory. Cale Fleury responded for Joël Bouchard and the rest of his teammates less than two minutes later with his own power play goal, also while Springfield's Samuel Montembeault was screened. This ended the first period tied at one.
Another powerplay goal gave the Thunderbirds a 2-1 lead halfway through the second period and though Springfield had an opportunity to make it 3-1 during a five-on-three powerplay, the Rocket's penalty killers kept their deficit to one. This allowed for Nikita Jevpalov's late-period goal to tie the game at two, as his pass deflected off of a Springfield defender and behind Montembeault for his ninth of the season.
Byron Froese gave the Rocket their first lead of the game with another powerplay goal just 26 seconds into the third. Alexandre Alain deflected Alex Belzile's shot, leaving Froese to tap it behind the goal line for his 13th of the year. A slap shot off a faceoff that beat McNiven with about five minutes left tied the game at three and sent to teams to overtime, where Xavier Ouellet scored on a wraparound to give the Rocket the victory with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame.
"We gave them a game plan and the guys executed it," explained Bouchard after the game. "We put ourselves in a very good position to win the game, since [Springfield] is a very good hockey team offensively. We don't see them often, so we made a precise plan. It's never perfect as a coach, but it was very good."
LAV: Fleury (Schlemko) | Jevpalovs (Vejdemo, Lamarche) | Froese (Alain, Belzile) | Ouellet (Waked, Vejdemo)
SPR: Jurco (Wideman, Marcinew) | Thompson (Jurco, Zolnierczyk) | Hunt (Zolnierczyk, Bystro,)
Goaltenders: LAV: McNiven (38/41) | SPR: Montembeault (30/24)
Rocket Powerplay: 2/5| Rocket Penalty Kill: 3/5
Three Stars: 1. Xavier Ouellet - LAV | 2. Tomas Jurco - SPR | 3. Byron Froese - LAV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2019
- Admirals Dominate Rampage in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brandon Pirri Bobblehead Night Set for February 2 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Graves Recalled by Avalanche, Lindholm Returns to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Set to Become the Kentucky Thoroughblades on February 2nd - San Jose Barracuda
- Purchase Condors Tickets for Local Cancer Organizations - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman John Nyberg Reassigned from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Week 16 Report: Road Woes End as Hogs Win One of Four - Rockford IceHogs
- Less Than 100 Tickets Left for Senators Game against Toronto Saturday Night - Belleville Senators
- Sean Walker and Austin Wagner Rejoin Reign - Ontario Reign
- Bears Weekly: Five-Game Win Streak Has Hershey Rolling - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 22-27 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Cracknell - San Diego Gulls
- Falk Reassigned to Belleville After Clearing Waivers - Belleville Senators
- First-Place Griffins Conclude Homestand against Moose, Barracuda - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 22 - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: As All-Star Break Approaches, Penguins Travel to Bridgeport and Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- A Look Back at the Legendary Belleville McFarland's - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Goaltender Martin Ouellette to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan Three Players to Springfield (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Lose Seesaw Battle 6-5 in Overtime - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Work Overtime for Fifth Straight Win, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ouellet Lifts Laval to 4-3 Overtime Victory over Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Respond, Rally to Defeat Texas by a 6-3 Count - Tucson Roadrunners
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Louie Belpedio to Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal