Syracuse Crunch Weekly
Wed., Jan. 16 - Crunch at Utica - L, 5-4
Fri., Jan. 18 - Crunch vs. Belleville - W, 5-3
Sat., Jan. 19 - Crunch at Binghamton - PPD; Rescheduled for Feb. 26
Mon., Jan. 21 - Crunch vs. Binghamton - W, 2-1
Fri., Jan. 25 - Crunch vs. Springfield - 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 26 - Crunch vs. Rochester - 7:05 p.m.
CRUNCH BACK IN WIN COLUMN AS SECOND HALF BEGINS
The Crunch snapped a five-game winless streak with back-to-back wins to close out Week 16. Syracuse also had one game postponed due to the weekend's inclement weather.
The Crunch opened the week with a 5-4 loss in Utica against the Comets. Syracuse trailed 3-0 and 5-2 before pulling within one in the loss. The Crunch ended their winless streak Friday at home against the Belleville Senators, a 5-3 Crunch win. Syracuse opened a 3-0 lead before the Sens rallied to tie the game, but Alex Volkov's go-ahead goal in the third period held up as the game-winner. After their Saturday game was postponed until Feb. 26, the Crunch defeated the Binghamton Devils, 2-1, Monday afternoon.
Syracuse plays two games this week before breaking for the AHL All-Star Classic in Springfield Sunday and Monday.
Rookie forward Alex Barré-Boulet potted a pair of goals in Week 16. He scored the Crunch's first goal both Wednesday at Utica and Monday against Binghamton. His two tallies made him the first Crunch player and fifth AHL skater this season to reach 20 goals; he's also the second rookie in the league with 20 goals.
Using only 39 games, the 21-year-old is the fastest Crunch skater to score 20 goals since Tyler Johnson hit the 20-goal mark in 32 games in 2012-13. Johnson finished the season with 37 goals and became the first Crunch player to win the Les Cunningham Award for league MVP.
Barré-Boulet is the 11th Crunch rookie to scored 20 goals in a season and the third during the Lightning affiliation, joining Alexander Volkov (2017-18) and Cedric Paquette (2013-14). The Crunch rookie record for goals in a season is 30 by Lonny Bohonos (1994-95) and Geoff Platt (2005-06).
Alexander Volkov recorded a point in all three games last week for the Crunch and is currently on his third scoring streak of three or more games; his season-long is eight games from Oct. 27-Nov. 17. The 21-year-old netted a power-play goal Wednesday in Utica, added a game-winning goal in the third period Friday against Belleville and chipped in with an assist Monday against Binghamton. Volkov was named the first star Friday and Monday.
In his second pro season, the Russian-born forward has 23 points (10g, 13a) in 38 games. His goal Saturday night gives the Crunch six players with at least 10 goals this season; they are one of eight teams with at least six 10-goal scorers. After 38 games last season, Volkov had 24 points (11g, 13a); he finished the season with 45 points (23g, 22a).
Captain Gabriel Dumont logged his second two-goal game of the season Wednesday at Utica and he finished with three points in three games. His two tallies in Utica were his first two goals on the road this season and gave him 250 career AHL points; he appeared in his 450th AHL game Friday night.
In 24 games, Dumont has 18 points (5g, 13a); he finished last season with 21 points (5g, 16a) in 18 games for the Crunch.
Cory Conacher's three assists last week gives him 42 points (15g, 27a) on the season. The Crunch are one of two Eastern Conference teams (Toronto) with a pair of teammates (Carter Verhaeghe and Conacher) over 40 points.
UPCOMING: SPRINGFIELD, ROCHESTER
The Crunch host a pair of games in Week 17 before hitting the All-Star Break to close the week.
The Springfield Thunderbirds come to town Friday night for their final match of the season. The Crunch have won two of the three previous meetings this season, including a 4-3 overtime win at the War Memorial Arena, which punctuated a five-game winning streak to close out 2018. Springfield has points in seven of the last 10 games (4-3-2-1) and enter the week in fourth place in the tight Atlantic Division with 48 points.
In the final game before the All-Star Break, the Crunch host the Rochester Americans in the fourth match of the season series. The Amerks have won each of the first three head-to-head matches this season and lead the North Division with 51 points. Including Saturday night, the Crunch and Amerks play nine times in the Crunch's final 36 games (25%). The Crunch and Americans are separated by just two points in the division entering the week.
WEEK 16 RESULTS
Wednesday, January 16 | Game 37 at Utica | L, 5-4
Syracuse 0 2 2 - 4 Shots: 5-13-16-34 PP: 1/7
Utica 2 3 0 - 5 Shots: 13-14-2-29 PP: 1/7
2nd Period-Barré-Boulet 19 (Verhaeghe), 3:59. Dumont 4 (Katchouk, Raddysh), 4:57. 3rd Period-Dumont 5 (Raddysh, Valleau), 1:02. Volkov 9 (Foote, Yan), 7:03 (PP). . . . Pasquale 12-8-3 (27 shots-22 saves), Ouellette ND (2 shots-2 saves). A-3,917
Friday, January 18 | Game 38 vs. Belleville | W, 5-3
Belleville 0 2 1 - 3 Shots: 6-10-6-22 PP: 1/5
Syracuse 2 1 2 - 5 Shots: 13-7-11-31 PP: 2/5
1st Period-Verhaeghe 17 (Foote), 1:03 (PP). Andreoff 16 (Conacher, Valleau), 4:01 (PP). 2nd Period-Colton 7 (Valleau, Yan), 4:29. 3rd Period-Volkov 10 (Gaunce, Katchouk), 12:24. Yan 9 (Conacher, Dumont), 19:00 (EN). . . . Pasquale 13-8-3 (22 shots-19 saves). A-5,783
Monday, January 21 | Game 39 vs. Binghamton | W, 2-1
Binghamton 0 1 0 - 1 Shots: 2-4-14-20 PP: 1/4
Syracuse 2 0 0 - 2 Shots: 9-11-3-23 PP: 0/4
1st Period-Barré-Boulet 20 (Andreoff, Volkov), 1:24. Gaunce 7 (Conacher, Foote), 19:44. . . . Ouellette 1-0-0 (20 shots-19 saves). A-4,634
Category Average/Total AHL Rank (Prev)
Power Play 23.5% (43-for-183) 3rd (3rd)
Penalty Kill 82.3% (158-for-192) 10th (T-10th)
Goals For 3.69 GFA (144) 1st (1st)
Goals Against 2.79 GAA (109) 3rd (T-2nd)
Shots For 29.05 SF/G (1133) 19th (21st)
Shots Against 28.51 SA/G (1112) 11th (13th)
Penalty Minutes 14.15 PIM/G (552) 9th (9th)
Points 44 Verhaeghe
Goals 20 Barré-Boulet
Assists 27 Conacher, Verhaeghe
PIM 57 Andreoff
Plus/Minus +15 Gaunce
Wins 13 Pasquale
GAA 2.44 Ingram
Save % 0.920 Ingram
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2019
- Admirals Dominate Rampage in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brandon Pirri Bobblehead Night Set for February 2 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Graves Recalled by Avalanche, Lindholm Returns to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Set to Become the Kentucky Thoroughblades on February 2nd - San Jose Barracuda
- Purchase Condors Tickets for Local Cancer Organizations - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman John Nyberg Reassigned from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Week 16 Report: Road Woes End as Hogs Win One of Four - Rockford IceHogs
- Less Than 100 Tickets Left for Senators Game against Toronto Saturday Night - Belleville Senators
- Sean Walker and Austin Wagner Rejoin Reign - Ontario Reign
- Bears Weekly: Five-Game Win Streak Has Hershey Rolling - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 22-27 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Cracknell - San Diego Gulls
- Falk Reassigned to Belleville After Clearing Waivers - Belleville Senators
- First-Place Griffins Conclude Homestand against Moose, Barracuda - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 22 - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: As All-Star Break Approaches, Penguins Travel to Bridgeport and Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- A Look Back at the Legendary Belleville McFarland's - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Goaltender Martin Ouellette to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan Three Players to Springfield (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Lose Seesaw Battle 6-5 in Overtime - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Work Overtime for Fifth Straight Win, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ouellet Lifts Laval to 4-3 Overtime Victory over Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Respond, Rally to Defeat Texas by a 6-3 Count - Tucson Roadrunners
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Louie Belpedio to Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Accepting Nominations for Grandparent of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? February 19, 2019
- Marlies Rally Past Crunch, 5-3
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Pink in the Rink Presented by Upstate Cancer Center February 23
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout