Barracuda Lose Seesaw Battle 6-5 in Overtime
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (23-8-2-3) wrapped up their five-game home stand on Monday at the SAP Center against the Bakersfield Condors (21-15-2-1) (Edmonton Oilers) and despite erasing a pair of two-goal deficits, San Jose failed to earn its third consecutive win, falling 6-5 in overtime.
The first period was uneventful through the first ten-plus minutes, but the last 6:22 of the period saw four combined goals. At the 13:38 mark of the first, David Gust (11) opened up the scoring as his pass from the right half-wall bounced off a Barracuda defender in front and in. The Condors would strike again at 17:41 on the power-play, as Josh Currie (17) buried a two-on-one top corner. The Barracuda would answer right back when Keaton Middleton (4) took a pass below the left faceoff dot and one-timed it past the Condors netminder to make it 2-1 with 1:53 remaining in the first. Just as San Jose inched back within one, Bakersfield pushed their lead back to a pair when Tyler Vesel (3) was able to slide a puck out of the reach of the right pad of Antoine Bibeau to bring the score to 3-1 with 49 seconds left.
In the second, San Jose would tie the game up with a pair of unanswered tallies. First, at 1:53, Middleton (5) would score his second goal of the game by sliding a slow-moving shot past a screened Stuart Skinner from the slot. Almost immediately after Middleton's second goal, the Barracuda would go on the power play and even the score. Cavan Fitzgerald (2) received a pass as he drifted from the right point and rocketed a wrister over the glove of Skinner, tying the game at 4:32. But as was the course for the game, Patrick Russell (8) and Ethan Bear (1) would recapture Bakersfield's two-goal lead at 16:33 and 17:29.
Entering the third, facing a two-goal deficit, San Jose outshot Bakersfield 19-to-three in the games final 20 minutes and scored twice to force the extra session. First, Jon Martin brought the puck into the o-zone and a trailing Jeremy Roy (3) snapped in a perfect shot as he collected the loose puck that Martin left after colliding into a pair of Condors. Then, Maxim Letunov (7) evened the score with just 44 seconds left in the game and San Jose's net pulled. Fitzgerald brought the puck into the offensive zone, threaded a cross-ice pass to Letunov and the rookie guided it in on the backhand to force OT.
After each team traded chances in overtime, All-Star Joe Gambardella (16) was able to drive to the net from the half-boards and beat Bibeau with a wrist shot top-shelf to earn Bakersfield the 6-5 win.
Next up for San Jose is a trip to Grand Rapids where they will face the Grand Rapids Griffins (Detroit Red Wings) for a two-games on Friday and Saturday. Follow Friday's game by listening on the Sharks App or by watching on watchtheahl.com. The game can also be heard on 1220 KDOW, with tape-delayed coverage beginning at 7 p.m. PST.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2019
- Admirals Dominate Rampage in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brandon Pirri Bobblehead Night Set for February 2 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Graves Recalled by Avalanche, Lindholm Returns to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Set to Become the Kentucky Thoroughblades on February 2nd - San Jose Barracuda
- Purchase Condors Tickets for Local Cancer Organizations - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman John Nyberg Reassigned from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Week 16 Report: Road Woes End as Hogs Win One of Four - Rockford IceHogs
- Less Than 100 Tickets Left for Senators Game against Toronto Saturday Night - Belleville Senators
- Sean Walker and Austin Wagner Rejoin Reign - Ontario Reign
- Bears Weekly: Five-Game Win Streak Has Hershey Rolling - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 22-27 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Cracknell - San Diego Gulls
- Falk Reassigned to Belleville After Clearing Waivers - Belleville Senators
- First-Place Griffins Conclude Homestand against Moose, Barracuda - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 22 - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: As All-Star Break Approaches, Penguins Travel to Bridgeport and Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- A Look Back at the Legendary Belleville McFarland's - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Goaltender Martin Ouellette to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan Three Players to Springfield (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Lose Seesaw Battle 6-5 in Overtime - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Work Overtime for Fifth Straight Win, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ouellet Lifts Laval to 4-3 Overtime Victory over Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Respond, Rally to Defeat Texas by a 6-3 Count - Tucson Roadrunners
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Louie Belpedio to Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.