Red Wings Reassign Larsson, Griffins Swap Forwards with Toledo
Grand Rapids Griffins goaltender Filip Larsson
(Grand Rapids Griffins, Credit: Sam Iannamico/Griffins)
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Monday reassigned goaltender Filip Larsson from the Grand Rapids Griffins to the ECHL's Toledo Walleye while the Griffins assigned forward Troy Loggins to Toledo and recalled forward Tyler Spezia from the Walleye.
In his first professional action, the 21-year-old Larsson shows a 2-5-0 record, a 4.01 goals against average and a 0.843 save percentage in seven games for the Griffins this season.
A 6-foot-2, 195-pound netminder, he was selected in the sixth round, 167th overall, of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by Detroit.
During his lone college campaign in 2018-19, Larsson was named to the National Collegiate Hockey Conference's All-Rookie Team and a finalist for the league's Goalie of the Year after posting a 13-6-3 record, a 1.95 GAA, a 0.932 save percentage and four shutouts in 22 appearances while backstopping the University of Denver to an appearance in the NCAA Frozen Four.
Prior to college, Larsson spent one season with the United States Hockey League's Tri-City Storm where he collected USHL Goaltender of the Year and USHL First All-Star Team accolades after showing the best save percentage in league history (0.941) and the second best GAA (1.65) to go along with an 18-10-0 record and seven shutouts in 30 games.
A native of Stockholm, Sweden, Larsson helped Sweden take home the silver medal at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship after appearing in one game.
Loggins, 24, has split his first full pro season between the Griffins and Walleye. In five games for Grand Rapids he shows two assists and a plus-one rating, and he has collected seven points (2-5-7) and 26 PIM in 11 games for Toledo.
Signed to a three-year contract by Grand Rapids that will last through the 2020-21 season, the 5-foot-10, 170-pound winger turned pro at the end of last year after a four-year career at Northern Michigan University and tallied one goal in four games with the Griffins. As a senior in 2018-19, Loggins was named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association's Player of the Year after he tied for second nationally with 23 goals and tied for fifth in the conference with 40 points in 39 games. In total, the Huntington Beach, Calif., native accumulated 106 points (56-50-106) in 136 games from 2015-19 and was a two-time First Team All-WCHA selection (2017-18, 2018-19).
In his second pro year, Spezia, 26, ranks among the Walleye's leaders this season with 19 points (T2nd), nine goals (2nd) and 10 assists (T4th) while adding a plus-three rating and 18 PIM in 18 games.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound forward made his AHL debut with the Griffins last season while on a professional tryout, skating in eight games and contributing two points (1-1-2). He was signed to one-year contract by Grand Rapids on July 1, 2019.
Since turning pro in 2018-19, Spezia has played in 76 regular season games with the Walleye, supplying 58 points (20-38-58), a plus-12 rating and 54 PIM. He was Toledo's top-scoring rookie with 39 points (11-28-39) in 58 games a season ago and tied for 19th in the ECHL in Kelly Cup Playoff scoring with 12 points (3-9-12) in 24 contests as he helped the Walleye advance to the Kelly Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history.
Prior to turning pro, the Clinton Township, Mich., native spent four seasons (2014-18) at Bowling Green State (WCHA) where he collected 72 points (34-38-72), 103 PIM and a plus-34 rating in 147 games.
The Griffins (9-12-1-1) host Chicago on Wednesday and Rockford on Friday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
Images from this story
Grand Rapids Griffins goaltender Filip Larsson
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2019
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Star Wars and More - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: December 2 - Manitoba Moose
- Roadrunners Weekly: December 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Andrew Peeke, Monsters Sign Jason Binkley to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Minnesota Wild Assigns Defenseman Greg Pateryn to Iowa for Conditioning Assignment - Iowa Wild
- Coyotes Assign Vili Saarijarvi to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Annual State Farm Toy Drive Begins this Week - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Hosting Star Wars Night December 7 - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Reassign Larsson, Griffins Swap Forwards with Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Novak Named AHL Rookie of the Month - Milwaukee Admirals
- Casey DeSmith Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jansen Harkins Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for November - Manitoba Moose
- Harkins, Novak, DeSmith Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Stolarz - San Diego Gulls
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Condors Collect 8,380 Bears for Community at Teddy Bear Toss - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Weekly, December 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Trenin Name CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks to Collect Toys for the Pirate Toy Fund During Next Four Home Games - Rochester Americans
- Milwaukee's Yakov Trenin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Canucks Recall Michael DiPietro - Utica Comets
- Chicago Wolves Sign Maclise - Chicago Wolves
- Dive into the Heart of the American Hockey League with 25Stanley - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Red Wings Recall Bowey
- Red Wings Swap Kaski for Wood
- McIlrath, Zadina Recalled by Detroit
- Griffins Commence Road Trip with Comeback Victory over Gulls
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and McIlrath