Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Andrew Peeke, Monsters Sign Jason Binkley to Pro Tryout Contract
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters, top affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced Monday that the Blue Jackets recalled defenseman Andrew Peeke from the Monsters and Cleveland signed defenseman Jason Binkley to a professional tryout (PTO) contract. In 21 appearances for the Monsters this season, the first action of his professional career, Peeke posted 5-7-12 with four penalty minutes and a +3 rating. Binkley posted an assist in one appearance for Cleveland this year and added 1-10-11 with four penalty minutes and a +10 rating in 19 appearances for the ECHL's Fort Wayne Komets.
A 6'3", 198 lb. right-shooting native of Parkland, FL, Peeke, 21, was originally selected by Columbus in the second round (34th overall) of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft and signed a three-year entry-level (two-way) contract with the Blue Jackets on April 1, 2019. Prior to his professional career, Peeke tallied 12-40-52 with 62 penalty minutes and a +20 rating in 119 NCAA appearances for the University of Notre Dame spanning three seasons from 2016-19. In 56 USHL appearances for the Green Bay Gamblers during the 2015-16 season, Peeke supplied 4-26-30 with 30 penalty minutes and a +7 rating.
Binkley, 27, a 5'9", 196 lb. right-shooting native of Powell, OH, contributed 25-96-121 with 143 penalty minutes and a +49 rating in 256 career ECHL appearances for the South Carolina Stingrays, Utah Grizzlies, Cincinnati Cyclones and Fort Wayne spanning parts of six seasons from 2014-19. In 156 NCAA appearances for Ferris State University spanning four seasons from 2011-15, Binkley notched 8-60-68 with 143 penalty minutes and a +20 rating. In 2010-11, Binkley logged 4-10-14 with 51 penalty minutes and a -25 rating in 56 appearances for the Tri-City Storm.
2019-20 Monsters Single Game Tickets are on sale NOW starting at ONLY $10 PER SEAT! Monsters Hockey Club Memberships are also available, providing members the lowest possible ticket prices, best seat locations, exclusive members only events like the Monsters' annual Meet the Team party and an exclusive, FREE Monsters Jersey or Hoodie! Group outing and birthday bash packages for ten or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased at www.ClevelandMonsters.com/tickets, by calling (216) 420-0000 or by visiting any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2019
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Star Wars and More - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: December 2 - Manitoba Moose
- Roadrunners Weekly: December 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Andrew Peeke, Monsters Sign Jason Binkley to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Minnesota Wild Assigns Defenseman Greg Pateryn to Iowa for Conditioning Assignment - Iowa Wild
- Coyotes Assign Vili Saarijarvi to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Annual State Farm Toy Drive Begins this Week - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Hosting Star Wars Night December 7 - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Reassign Larsson, Griffins Swap Forwards with Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Novak Named AHL Rookie of the Month - Milwaukee Admirals
- Casey DeSmith Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jansen Harkins Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for November - Manitoba Moose
- Harkins, Novak, DeSmith Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Stolarz - San Diego Gulls
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Condors Collect 8,380 Bears for Community at Teddy Bear Toss - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Weekly, December 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Trenin Name CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks to Collect Toys for the Pirate Toy Fund During Next Four Home Games - Rochester Americans
- Milwaukee's Yakov Trenin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Canucks Recall Michael DiPietro - Utica Comets
- Chicago Wolves Sign Maclise - Chicago Wolves
- Dive into the Heart of the American Hockey League with 25Stanley - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters to Host Girls Street Hockey Clinics with Olympian Brianne McLaughlin
- Monsters Sign Forward Zach Jordan to AHL Contract
- Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Hosts Select Initial Public Events
- Monsters Launch Digital Fan Salute Week Presented by Rascal House
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season, Playoffs