Reading Visits Newfoundland in Battle with League Leaders
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, play the Newfoundland Growlers in St. John's at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Mary Brown's Centre. This is the first game the Growlers will play at their home arena in 2021-22 after playing at Conception Bay South Arena for their first six home games.
The Growlers and Royals faced off Nov. 19 and 20 at Santander Arena. Newfoundland won both games, while the Royals gained a point by forcing overtime in the 2-1 loss on Nov. 20. Jacob Pritchard scored a goal and assist over those two games, leading the Royals. Dominic Cormier and Thomas Ebbing scored a goal each. Kirill Ustimenko played both matches and held a .921 save percentage and 2.47 goals-against average in over 121 minutes.
For Newfoundland, Gordie Green leads the team with three points - one goal and two assists - against the Royals this season. Orrin Centazzo and Jeremy McKenna, who was called up to the Toronto Marlies on Nov. 21, have both scored a goal and assist against Reading.
The Growlers enter Wednesday's game first in the North Division and the ECHL with a 13-2-0-0 record and 26 points. They are unbeaten in nine games on the road, which is a new ECHL record to start a season but have a 4-2-0-0 record in Newfoundland. Their penalty kill ranks first in the ECHL, as they have only given up 7 goals in 64 attempts, good for an 89.1 percent record.
The Royals are second in the North Division with a record of 6-4-4-1 and 17 points. They have struggled in recent weeks, winning only once in their past six games. Pritchard leads the team with 13 points in 15 games, while Frank DiChiara and Brayden Low each have 9 points.
Dependent on if FloSports is up-and-running in the Growlers' arena that they've just been allowed to return to, fans can listen to the game at mixlr.com/readingroyals or watch at FloSports through bit.ly/RoyalsFloSports. If there is no stream of the game, fans can tune in by listening to Voice of the Growlers Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Saturday, Dec. 11 vs. Adirondack - Affiliation Night! Celebrate the Royals' affiliation with the Flyers. Gritty will be at Santander Arena, a Kirill Ustimenko bobblehead will be given away presented by Savage Auto Group, the Royals will play on orange ice, fans will get chances to win gift cards during the game, and there will be a Teddy Bear Toss, postgame skate presented by T-Mobile, and postgame party presented by DoubleTree by Hilton Reading.
Buy tickets HERE: www.royalshockey.com/promotions
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
Images from this story
Reading Royals forward Thomas Ebbing (center) vs. the Newfoundland Growlers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2021
- Railers Take Down Mariners in the Shootout 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Admirals Beat Gladiators, Remain Undefeated at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Lions Shock Blades in Three Goal Comeback - Florida Everblades
- Mandolese Shines in Narrow Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Defeat Komets in Tight Wednesday Contest - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Gain Point in Wild Shootout Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Pritchard Records First-Ever Multi-Goal Game in 4-2 Loss to Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Double up Royals in 4-2 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Chaz Reddekopp Signs PTO with Tucson Roadrunners - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen: December 1, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 1 - ECHL
- Oilers Sign Goaltender Ryan Ruck - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Brings in Forward van Riemsdyk - Wichita Thunder
- Toledo's Berry Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Matt Berry Named ECHL Plus Performer of November - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, December 1, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Lions' Florida Road Trip Begins Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Rush Trade Kehler to Cincinnati for Future Considerations - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Acquire Kehler from Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Bring in Griff Jeszka - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kendall Mullens Selected as Teacher of the Month for November - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Heads to Iowa for First-Ever Meeting vs. Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Fitzpatrick, Pecararo, and Zimmer Called to AHL Charlotte - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Reading Visits Newfoundland in Battle with League Leaders - Reading Royals
- Trois Rivières to Visit Hertz Arena for First Time Wednesday - Florida Everblades
- Glads Set for Series in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rush Handle Mavericks, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Second Period Goal Explosion Leads to 6-4 Win over Worcester
- MLK Day Matchup with Worcester Set for 1:00 p.m. Puck Drop
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place