Mandolese Shines in Narrow Loss
NORFOLK, Va. - The Atlanta Gladiators (7-6-2-0) fell to the Norfolk Admirals (9-7-0-1) by a final of 2-1 at the Norfolk Scope Arena on Wednesday night. The Glads took a 1-0 advantage late in the first after a Hugo Roy goal, but Norfolk responded with two goals to seal the victory in regulation. Goaltender Kevin Mandolese made 39 saves in his debut with Atlanta.
Atlanta took a 1-0 advantage late in the first period after Tyler Kobryn sent a beautiful pass across the ice to find Hugo Roy who netted a one-timer from the slot (16:35).
Nine seconds later, Noah Corson evened the score at 1-1 for Norfolk with a sharp wrister into the back of the net (16:44).
Recently reassigned goaltender Kevin Mandolese made a series of incredible saves midway through the second period that ended with him laying out to prevent the puck from sliding inside the right post.
Atlanta received a penalty shot after Hugo Roy was tripped in front of the net on a breakaway opportunity. Roy failed to convert on the penalty shot, and the game remained level at 1-1.
The Admirals took a 2-1 advantage after Anthony Gagnon scored early in the third period (2:17).
Mandolese finished the game with 39 saves on 41 shots in his Gladiators debut. Beck Warm was solid in net for Norfolk with 38 stops on 39 Atlanta shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2021
- Railers Take Down Mariners in the Shootout 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Admirals Beat Gladiators, Remain Undefeated at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Lions Shock Blades in Three Goal Comeback - Florida Everblades
- Mandolese Shines in Narrow Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Defeat Komets in Tight Wednesday Contest - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Gain Point in Wild Shootout Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Pritchard Records First-Ever Multi-Goal Game in 4-2 Loss to Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Double up Royals in 4-2 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Chaz Reddekopp Signs PTO with Tucson Roadrunners - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen: December 1, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 1 - ECHL
- Oilers Sign Goaltender Ryan Ruck - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Brings in Forward van Riemsdyk - Wichita Thunder
- Toledo's Berry Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Matt Berry Named ECHL Plus Performer of November - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, December 1, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Lions' Florida Road Trip Begins Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Rush Trade Kehler to Cincinnati for Future Considerations - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Acquire Kehler from Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Bring in Griff Jeszka - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kendall Mullens Selected as Teacher of the Month for November - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Heads to Iowa for First-Ever Meeting vs. Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Fitzpatrick, Pecararo, and Zimmer Called to AHL Charlotte - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Reading Visits Newfoundland in Battle with League Leaders - Reading Royals
- Trois Rivières to Visit Hertz Arena for First Time Wednesday - Florida Everblades
- Glads Set for Series in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rush Handle Mavericks, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.