Growlers Double up Royals in 4-2 Win
The Newfoundland Growlers reigned victorious in their first game back at Mary Brown's Centre as they beat the Reading Royals 4-1 on Wednesday night.
It was a slow start offensively at both ends of the ice in the opening portion of the game. The best chance of the first period fell to Growlers forward Bobby Lynch who beat everyone but Royals netminder Pat Nagle on an impressive end-to-end rush just before the intermission.
Lynch would get his redemption in the middle frame as his power-play pass attempt took a rather fortuitous bounce off a Reading player and beat Nagle to make it 1-0 Newfoundland 12 minutes into the second period.
Reading wasted little time finding an equalizer however as Jacob Pritchard beat Evan Cormier with a wraparound effort just 30 seconds to draw things back to level for the away side.
A quick response from the hosts had them once again in front with 6:34 remaining in the second as Matteo Pietroniro sprung Zach O'Brien on a breakaway where the Growlers leading scorer made no mistake, beating the goalie high over the glove to make it 2-1 Newfoundland - a score line which would hold up after 40 minutes.
Just one minute into the third period, Ty Pelton-Byce would give the Growlers a two-goal advantage as he stole the puck from a Royals defenseman and fired one short side past Nagle. Todd Skirving would bump it up to 4-1 three minutes later when he deflected home a Riley McCourt shot from the point.
Pritchard would get Reading back within two just after the midway mark of the third period, taking full advantage of a 5-on-3 opportunity to score his second of the game.
Luckily for the home crowd, that was close as the Royals would get to mounting a comeback. Cormier had a relatively quiet night in the Newfoundland net but stood tall when called upon, stopping 20 of the 22 shots he faced.
The Growlers got points from seven different skaters on their four goals.
Evan Cormier picked up his seventh consecutive victory in this one having started every game during the Growlers current seven-game winning streak.
Eleven Newfoundland players made their Mary Brown's Centre home debut on Wednesday.
1. NFL - T. Pelton-Byce
2. NFL - T. Skirving
3. REA - J. Pritchard
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2021
- Railers Take Down Mariners in the Shootout 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Admirals Beat Gladiators, Remain Undefeated at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Lions Shock Blades in Three Goal Comeback - Florida Everblades
- Mandolese Shines in Narrow Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Defeat Komets in Tight Wednesday Contest - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Gain Point in Wild Shootout Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Pritchard Records First-Ever Multi-Goal Game in 4-2 Loss to Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Double up Royals in 4-2 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Chaz Reddekopp Signs PTO with Tucson Roadrunners - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen: December 1, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 1 - ECHL
- Oilers Sign Goaltender Ryan Ruck - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Brings in Forward van Riemsdyk - Wichita Thunder
- Toledo's Berry Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Matt Berry Named ECHL Plus Performer of November - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, December 1, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Lions' Florida Road Trip Begins Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Rush Trade Kehler to Cincinnati for Future Considerations - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Acquire Kehler from Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Bring in Griff Jeszka - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kendall Mullens Selected as Teacher of the Month for November - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Heads to Iowa for First-Ever Meeting vs. Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Fitzpatrick, Pecararo, and Zimmer Called to AHL Charlotte - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Reading Visits Newfoundland in Battle with League Leaders - Reading Royals
- Trois Rivières to Visit Hertz Arena for First Time Wednesday - Florida Everblades
- Glads Set for Series in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rush Handle Mavericks, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.