Rampage Close Season with Win over Stars
CEDAR PARK, TX - Joey LaLeggia's third-period power play goal was the game-winner and Jared Coreau earned his 100th AHL victory as the San Antonio Rampage (31-38-7) closed the 2018-19 season with a 3-1 victory over the Texas Stars (37-31-8) on Saturday night at the HEB Center at Cedar Park.
The Rampage finished the season with three wins in their final four games, and they won their final two visits to the HEB Center to finish the season series 6-8-0 against the Stars. Texas was eliminated from playoff contention on Saturday.
Coreau made 19 saves on 20 shots to earn his 100th win in the AHL, with 12 coming this season with the Rampage.
With the game tied 1-1 in the third period, the Rampage went on their sixth power play of the game with Dillon Heatherington in the box for tripping. At 13:25, LaLeggia lifted a wrist shot from the left circle over the right shoulder of Texas goaltender Jake Oettinger for his 16th goal of the season.
LaLeggia finished the season with six goals over his final ten games and 21 points in his last 20 contests. The Rampage scored power play goals in each of their final five games.
At 14:44 of the third, Ryan Olsen gave San Antonio some insurance with the team's fifth shorthanded goal of the year. On the penalty kill, Jordan Schmaltz fed Olsen on a 3-on-2 rush for Olsen's 17th goal of the season, and fifth in his final seven games.
The Stars opened the scoring at 6:19 of the first period when Rhett Gardner slid a backhander under Coreau for his fourth of the season. Niko Mikkola evened the score at 1:09 of the second period, finishing a Tanner Kaspick feed for his second goal of the year.
LaLeggia finished the season as San Antonio's leading scorer, posting 47 points in 71 games. Olsen and Jordan Nolan led the team with 17 goals. Mitch Reinke played in all 76 games for the Rampage, the only player to appear in every game for the Rampage this season and only the ninth Rampage player all-time to accomplish the feat.
The Rampage finished the season with 69 points, currently 13th in the Western Conference.
RAMPAGE STATS: Goals: Mikkola (2), LaLeggia (16), Olsen (17) Jared Coreau: 19 saves on 20 shots Power Play: 1-for-6 Penalty Kill: 7-for-7
THREE STARS: 1) Joey LaLeggia - SA 2) Ryan Olsen - SA 3) Rhett Gardner - TEX
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- San Diego Preps for Playoffs with 4-3 Victory over Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Close Season with Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls First-Round Playoff Series Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Capture Pacific Division Regular Season Title - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Regular-Season Finale - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Loss Costs Playoff Shot - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Bound for Playoffs Despite Loss to Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage 3-1 in Season Finale - Texas Stars
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport clinches home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Eliminate Manitoba, Set First-Round Playoff Dates - Chicago Wolves
- Olofsson Scores Twice in 4-3 Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Finish Season with 5-Straight Wins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Top Griffins, Clinch Spot in Post-Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Claim North Division Title - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rockford Eliminated from Playoff Push with Shutout in Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Lehigh Valley Catches Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Marlies to Face Rochester Americans in First Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Recall Five from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers to Face Hershey in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Announce Schedule for Playoff Series Versus Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Bears Topple Comets, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Amerks to Face Toronto Marlies in First Round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Devils Fall to Rocket in Front of Sellout Crowd, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Greco Becomes First 30-Goal Scorer in T-Birds History in Sold out Finale - Springfield Thunderbirds
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Checkers to Face Providence Bruins in First Round of Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Frederic's Hat Trick Helps P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Spot - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Road Finale in Hershey - Utica Comets
- Sens Keep Playoff Dream Alive with Overtime Win in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #68 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Battle of Ontario Returns to Toronto - Toronto Marlies
- San Diego Gulls Playoff Tickets on Sale Sunday, April 14 - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Playoff Destiny in Their Own Hands - Belleville Senators
- Bears Recall Defenseman Joey Leach from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Condors Host Fan Appreciation Night with Thousands of Prizes Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Comets at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 13 - Belleville Senators
- Garland's Last-Second Winner Jolts Roadrunners Back into a Playoff Spot - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Finish Home Slate with a Loss - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Fall in OT but Clinch Berth - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - San Diego Gulls
- Parsons Powers Stockton Past Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids