Game #68 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego
Game #68 - Tucson (34-25-5-3) vs. San Diego (35-24-5-3)
7:05 PM MST, Tucson Arena, Tucson, Arizona
Referees: #49 Reid Anderson, #9 Anthony Tapper
Linesmen: #58 Colin Besch, #59 Rob Fay
The Roadrunners will put a cap on the 2018-19 regular season tonight in hosting the San Diego Gulls at Tucson Arena, where the puck is scheduled to drop just after the 7:05 PM scheduled start time.
Should the team's season continue thereafter has yet to be determined, but that fate will most certainly be decided this evening. There are two clear-cut playoff-clinching scenarios for the Roadrunners at day's outset.
1) A point earned vs. San Diego
2) A Colorado loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Jose
If they win, they're in. In fact, that'd be overdoing it. Getting to overtime will do the trick.
"Three periods left. If we come out on top, we're in the playoffs," Conor Garland said Friday night. "It's the best time of the year, everybody wants to be playing at this time, so there's no better game than [this one]."
To acknowledge the flip-side of things: if the Roadrunners lose in regulation to the Gulls and the Colorado Eagles earn two points against the San Jose Barracuda, Tucson would be eliminated from playoff contention.
With Friday night's 4-3 overtime win, the Roadrunners improved their record against San Diego to a rather dominating 6-1-0-0; they have won all three games played on home ice against the Gulls this year.
If anything's hot right now, it's the Roadrunners' power play. With two more man advantage markers last night, Tucson now has 14 power play goals in its past 12 games.
The Roadrunners can finish the night as high as third-place in the standings and as low as fifth-place.
Colorado's must-win match-up against San Jose is set to begin at 6:05 PM PST, an hour before things get moving at Tucson Arena. The result of that game - further dictating what the Roadrunners will or won't need from their hosting of San Diego, should be known sometime during the second period.
CHASING HISTORY: With a goal and an assist Friday night, Lane Pederson extended his point streak to five games, matching the longest score sheet stretch of his career (Five games, December 21, 2018 - January 4, 2018). With 46 points on the year, he's the team's leading scorer. In scoring his 22nd goal of the season last night, Pederson finds himself just one shy of matching the single season franchise high of 23, set by Michael Bunting and Mike Sislo during the 2017-18 campaign.
AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE: In four games played against the Gulls this season, Conor Garland has registered nine points (3G, 6A), putting up multiple points each and every time, including three (2G, 1A) Friday night - highlighted by his overtime winner. He has terrorized the Gulls, simply put. The 23-year-old has 23 points (10G, 13A) in 20 AHL games played this year.
HERE TO ASSIST: With his assists on Lane Pederson's opening tally and Conor Garland's game-winner Friday night, Robbie Russo has matched his career-high in points, now with 39 (6G, 33A) on the year. The 26-year-old defenseman totaled 39 points during his rookie season with the Grand Rapids Griffins during the 2015-16 campaign. Russo's total of 33 helpers ranks 10th among AHL defensemen this season.
ONE HUNDRED: Tonight marks the Roadrunners' 100th game to be played at Tucson Arena. They have an all-time record of 52-39-7-1 when playing at the corner of Congress St. and Granada Ave.
Catch tonight's action LIVE on AHLTV or join Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson as he calls the game from the Roadrunners' flagship radio station, where coverage begins at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- San Diego Preps for Playoffs with 4-3 Victory over Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Close Season with Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls First-Round Playoff Series Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Capture Pacific Division Regular Season Title - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Regular-Season Finale - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Loss Costs Playoff Shot - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Bound for Playoffs Despite Loss to Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage 3-1 in Season Finale - Texas Stars
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport clinches home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Eliminate Manitoba, Set First-Round Playoff Dates - Chicago Wolves
- Olofsson Scores Twice in 4-3 Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Finish Season with 5-Straight Wins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Top Griffins, Clinch Spot in Post-Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Claim North Division Title - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rockford Eliminated from Playoff Push with Shutout in Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Lehigh Valley Catches Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Marlies to Face Rochester Americans in First Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Recall Five from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers to Face Hershey in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Announce Schedule for Playoff Series Versus Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Bears Topple Comets, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Amerks to Face Toronto Marlies in First Round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Devils Fall to Rocket in Front of Sellout Crowd, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Greco Becomes First 30-Goal Scorer in T-Birds History in Sold out Finale - Springfield Thunderbirds
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Checkers to Face Providence Bruins in First Round of Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Frederic's Hat Trick Helps P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Spot - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Road Finale in Hershey - Utica Comets
- Sens Keep Playoff Dream Alive with Overtime Win in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #68 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Battle of Ontario Returns to Toronto - Toronto Marlies
- San Diego Gulls Playoff Tickets on Sale Sunday, April 14 - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Playoff Destiny in Their Own Hands - Belleville Senators
- Bears Recall Defenseman Joey Leach from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Condors Host Fan Appreciation Night with Thousands of Prizes Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Comets at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 13 - Belleville Senators
- Garland's Last-Second Winner Jolts Roadrunners Back into a Playoff Spot - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Finish Home Slate with a Loss - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Fall in OT but Clinch Berth - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - San Diego Gulls
- Parsons Powers Stockton Past Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.