Frederic's Hat Trick Helps P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Spot
Springfield, MA - The Providence Bruins defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds Saturday night 5-3, clinching the fourth seed in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs. It is the seventh consecutive postseason berth for the team and their 22nd in 27 seasons. The P-Bruins got a hat-trick from Trent Frederic along with goals from Lee Stempniak and Anton Blidh while Dan Vladar made his 30th start of the season in net.
After a slow offensive start for both sides, Springfield netted the first goal of the night 11:27 into the first period. Dryden Hunt won a puck battle behind the net and centered to Juho Lammikko in the slot. With room to shoot, he fired a wrister by the glove a Vladar for his fifth goal of the season and gave the T-Birds a 1-0 lead. The score could have been much more lopsided, but Vladar made several tough stops on chances in close. His sharp play kept Providence within striking distance as they trailed only 1-0 into the intermission.
The second period was the Trent Frederic show, as he netted a trio of goals for his first career hat-trick. He started his scoring barrage 42 seconds into the period, stripping a defender to start the break before beating Samuel Montembeault with a wrister. Jakub Zboril and Ryan Fitzgerald picked up assists on his 12th goal of the year and the P-Bruins tied things up 1-1. Bobby Farnham scored for Springfield midway through the period to help them regain the lead, but Frederic and Pond teammed up for the game-tying shorthanded goal at 12:47. Pond stole the puck to start a 2-on-1 break, deked a defender and sent a spinning pass to a waiting Frederic. All he had to do was hit the open net for his second goal of the night and the game was tied again 2-2. At 15:41, Frederic gave Providence their first lead of the night with his 14th goal of the year and third of the game. With assists from Fitzgerald and Peter Cehlarik, he shot a long wrister through traffic by Montembeault to make the score 3-2 Bruins after 40 minutes.
Stempniak gave Providence some breathing room 5:22 into the third with his seventh goal of the season. While on the power play, Cehlarik sent a centering feed to Stempniak who was cutting in from the point. He tipped it by Montembeault for the goal and gave the P-Bruins a 4-2 lead. Anthony Greco scored a 5-on-3 power play goal midway through the third to cut the Springfield deficit to one, but an empty net goal from Blidh sealed a 5-3 Providence victory. The win secured a playoff spot for the Bruins, who qualified for the Calder Cup Playoffs for a seventh consecutive season.
Vladar stopped 16-19 shots while Montembeault stopped 35-39 shots. Providence was 1-3 on the power play and 6-7 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action tomorrow afternoon for their regular season finale when they welcome the T-Birds to the Dunk for a 3:05pm face off.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- San Diego Preps for Playoffs with 4-3 Victory over Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Close Season with Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls First-Round Playoff Series Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Capture Pacific Division Regular Season Title - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Regular-Season Finale - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Loss Costs Playoff Shot - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Bound for Playoffs Despite Loss to Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage 3-1 in Season Finale - Texas Stars
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport clinches home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Eliminate Manitoba, Set First-Round Playoff Dates - Chicago Wolves
- Olofsson Scores Twice in 4-3 Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Finish Season with 5-Straight Wins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Top Griffins, Clinch Spot in Post-Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Claim North Division Title - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Sound Tigers, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rockford Eliminated from Playoff Push with Shutout in Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Lehigh Valley Catches Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Marlies to Face Rochester Americans in First Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Recall Five from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers to Face Hershey in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Announce Schedule for Playoff Series Versus Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Bears Topple Comets, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Amerks to Face Toronto Marlies in First Round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Devils Fall to Rocket in Front of Sellout Crowd, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Greco Becomes First 30-Goal Scorer in T-Birds History in Sold out Finale - Springfield Thunderbirds
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Checkers to Face Providence Bruins in First Round of Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Frederic's Hat Trick Helps P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Spot - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Road Finale in Hershey - Utica Comets
- Sens Keep Playoff Dream Alive with Overtime Win in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #68 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Battle of Ontario Returns to Toronto - Toronto Marlies
- San Diego Gulls Playoff Tickets on Sale Sunday, April 14 - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Playoff Destiny in Their Own Hands - Belleville Senators
- Bears Recall Defenseman Joey Leach from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Condors Host Fan Appreciation Night with Thousands of Prizes Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Comets at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 13 - Belleville Senators
- Garland's Last-Second Winner Jolts Roadrunners Back into a Playoff Spot - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Finish Home Slate with a Loss - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Fall in OT but Clinch Berth - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - San Diego Gulls
- Parsons Powers Stockton Past Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.