Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack
Glens Falls, NY- The Worcester Railers HC (4-5-0-0, 8pts) snapped their four game losing streak with a 5-4 shootout victory over the Adirondack Thunder (5-3-0-2, 12pts)on Friday evening in front of 4,213 at the Cool Insuring Arena. The same two teams will square off against one another on Sunday, November 10 at 3pm in Glens Falls.
Bo Brauer, Shane Walsh, Jordan Samuels-Thomas, and Ross Olsson all scored goals for Worcester while Evan Buitenhuis made 43 saves in net for his first win of the season in a game that featured 70 penalty minutes. Matt Schmalz and Barry Almeida each added two assists as the Railers snapped their four-game losing skid with the shootout victory. Evan Cormier allowed four goals in net for the Thunder on 23 shots while Casey Pierro-Zabotel scored twice, while Mike Szmatula and Kelly Summers each scored for Adirondack in their home shootout loss. Shane Walsh and JD Dudek each scored in the shootout whole Evan Buitenhuis made three stops on four shots.
Adirondack grabbed the first goal of the game just 1:44 in as Casey Pierro-Zabotel banged in a loose rebound past Evan Buitenhuis. The Railers would then score twice in a 35 second span as Bo Brauer (1st) tapped in a feed from Matt Schmalz at 10:35 and then Shane Walsh (1st) sent one by Evan Cormier in the high slot off of a feed from Bo Brauer at 10:10. Adirondack outshot Worcester 12-7 in the first stanza.
In a second period which featured 40 penalty minutes the Railers struck twice. Jordan Samuels-Thomas (3rd) with an excellent effort circling the cage slid one past Cormier to give Worcester a 3-1 lead at 3:50. Mike Szmatula (2nd) answered on the power play banging home a rebound behind Evan Buitenhuis with 4:22 left in the frame to decrease the deficit for Adirondack 3-2. Things would escalate after Ross Olsson (1st) tipped one past Cormier giving Worcester a 4-2 lead with 1:47 left in the middle stanza. Ross Olsson (2nd FM) was then jumped by Gabriel Verpaeslt (2nd FM) and the two were assessed fighting majors. Worcester held a 4-2 lead after 40 minutes of play.
Adirondack was able to strike twice in the final period, first at 13:32 when Kelly Summers (2nd) blasted one home from the point at 13:32 making it a 4-3 game. Casey Pierro-Zabotel (4th) scored his second of the game at 17:32 tapping home a rebound tying it up at 4-4. Connor Doherty (2ndFM) dropped the mits with Robbie Payne (1stFM) with under five minutes to play in the third period. The game was deadlocked at 4-4 after regulation with the Thunder outshooting the Railers 41-21.
Each team had two power-plays in the overtime with back and forth action as Adirondack outshot Worcester 6-2 but neither team would score sending it into a shootout.
Shane Walsh and JD Dudek each scored goals for Worcester in the shootout while Evan Buitenhuis made three saves on four shots.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star.... JD Dudek (Shootout Winner), 2nd star: Bo Brauer (1-1-2, +3) 1st star: Casey Pierro-Zabotel (2-1-3, +3).... final shots were 47-23 in favor of Adirondack.... Evan Cormier (0-1-0) made 19 saves on 23 shots for Adirondack.... Evan Buitenhuis (1-3-0) made 43 saves on 47 shots for Worcester while Linus Soderstrom served as the backup.... Worcester went 0-for-5 on the power play while Adirondack went 1-for-5.... Ivan Chukarov (inj), Tanner Pond (inj), Jack Stander and Chris Rygus did not dress for Worcester.... Connor Doherty registered a game high 15 penalty minutes with a 10 minute misconduct and five minute fighting major.... Cody Payne received a two minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ten minute game misconduct in the second.... Bo Brauer (1-1-2), Matt Schmalz (0-2-2), and Barry Almeida (0-2-2) all recorded multi-point games...... Mike Cornell, Nic Pierog, and Jakub Skarek are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.... Worcester is now 18-8-2-0 all-time vs. the Thunder and 11-4-1-0 at the Cool Insuring Arena.
What's on tap - Thunder AGAIN!
The Railers will have the day off on Saturday before meeting again on Sunday, Nov 10 at 3pm. The Railers return home on Wednesday, Nov 13 for the annual School Day Game with a 10am start time vs. the Reading Royals.
Still and Stir located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Cam McGuire. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Railers Close Weekend with Loss vs. Newfoundland
- Railers Set Franchise Record in 8-1 Victory Over Adirondack
- Railers Drop Thanksgiving Eve Showdown to Maine 4-2
- Railers Take Down Lions 3-1 on Frontline Heroes Night
- Railers Drop Friday Night Matchup against the Lions 4-1