Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, S.C. - South Carolina Stingrays goaltender Parker Milner stopped all 23 attempts fired his way, and the Rays kept the Greenville Swamp Rabbits to 23 shots on goal. That defensive effort led to a 4-0 shutout at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Friday night.
While the Swamp Rabbits had their chances throughout the night, Milner was there at every turn. His shutout streak extended to 130 minutes and 34 seconds, his goals-against average rose to second-best, and his save percentage rose to third-best in the league.
Kristofers Bindulis' slap shot from the right point 1:56 into the second period proved to be the game-winning goal for the visitors. After a successful forecheck in the offensive zone caused by physical contact by Tim Harrison, Bindulis let fly from the blue line for his first goal of the season.
The Rays were the recipient of a fluky turnover on the power play, and Casey Bailey added the backbreaking insurance goal six minutes into the third on a breakaway as a result of the giveaway.
Matthew Weis and Tom Parisi sealed the deal with goals late in the third.
Swamp Rabbits goaltender Ryan Bednard did what he could to stave off the Stingrays attack with 30 saves, including a key stop on a Dylan Steman breakaway in the second period.
Both teams were held to a 7-7 tie in shots on goal in the first period. South Carolina averaged 41 heading into Friday through seven games.
The Swamp Rabbits will return to action against the Stingrays on Saturday, November 9 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available at SwampRabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Former Maverick, Gerads, Inks Deal with Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Add Fortier to Offense for 21-22
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Spokane's Russell to First Pro Contract
- Hora Returns to Rabbits Blue Line for 21-22
- Cap Joins Professional Ranks After Signing with Swamp Rabbits