Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown
Utah Grizzlies (3-4-3) at Kansas City Mavericks (3-6). Friday November 8, 2019. 6:05 pm MST. Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Classic Country 1370, 104.3 FM HD-2. ECHL.TV.
It's the first season meeting between Utah and Kansas City. These teams will meet 8 times during the regular season. 5 games at KC and 3 at Maverik Center. Utah has a standings point in 6 of 8. Kansas City last weekend lost 2 of 3 games to Wichita.
Former Grizzlies on KC's Roster
Jack Walker leads Kansas City with 7 points. Last year he had 7 goals and 18 assists in 38 games for Utah. His biggest highlight was a game winner in overtime on January 5th vs Wichita. Cliff Watson was a 2018 ECHL All-Star representing the Grizzlies. He had 9 goals and 16 assists in 36 games for Utah in the 2017-18 season. CJ Eick had 11 goals and 14 assists in 107 games for Utah from 2016-2018. Ryan Galt had 1 goal in 4 games for the Grizzlies last season.
Last Game: Utah Grizzlies 0 Idaho Steelheads 1.
Utah goaltender Jeff Smith stopped 27 of 28 shots in the 1-0 defeat. Utah took 25 shots but Idaho's Tomas Sholl stopped them all. Taking a page out of the World Series, all 5 Utah - Idaho regular season games head to head have been won by the road team.
Josh Dickinson Named Player of the Month
Josh Dickinson was named Warrior Hockey ECHL Player of the Month for October. He had 9 goals and 2 assists for 11 points in 7 games. The highlight of the month was his back to back hat tricks on October 16th vs Wichita and October 18th at Allen. Dickinson was named player of the week from October 14th - 20th.
Grizz acquire forward Jack Jenkins from the Indy Fuel. Jenkins played at Notre Dame from 2016-2019, where he was a teammate of Utah forward Joe Wegwerth. Jenkins had 15 goals and 27 assists in his Fighting Irish college career.
The Grizzlies signed forward Garrett Klotz. This is his 7th different season in the ECHL and his 10th season professionally. He has 195 games of ECHL experience with 14 goals and 22 assists. Klotz also has 157 games in the AHL with 4 goals and 7 assists. Klotz is 6'6" and 250 pounds. He played for the Rapid City Rush the past 2 seasons. This will be Klotz's 10th different ECHL team. Klotz was drafted in the 3rd round (66th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Forward Travis Barron was sent to Colorado of the AHL. Barron leads the league with 8 power play points and leads the Grizz with 13 points.
Goaltender Mason McDonald was also assigned to Colorado.
Taylor Richart had a point in 5 straight games come to an end last Sunday vs Idaho. (2 goals, 5 assists previous 5).
Utah vs Kansas City
November 8th and 9th - Utah at Kansas City.
December 20th - Utah at Kansas City.
February 14th and 15th - Utah at Kansas City.
February 22nd 23rd and 24th - Kansas City at Utah.
Grizzlies Reschedule February game vs KC
The regularly scheduled Friday February 21st game at Maverik Center has been moved to Sunday, February 23rd at 5:00 pm. Tickets that were distributed for the game on the 21st will be good to use for the 23rd.
7 Have Played Them All
7 Players have appeared in all 10 regular season games. Travis Barron (Now with Colorado, AHL), Ryan Wagner, Griffen Molino, Taylor Richart, Eric Williams, Kevin Davis and Peter Tischke.
Previous Week's Games
November 1st - Utah 5 Idaho 4 - Yuri Terao game winner with 1:59 left. Tim McGauley, Ryan Wagner, Griffen Molino and Terao each had 1 goal and 1 assist. Patrick McGrath added a goal. Jeff Smith stopped 35 of 39.
November 2nd - Utah 2 Idaho 3 (OT) - Griffen Molino and JC Brassard each had a power play goal for Utah. Grizz went 2 for 5 on the power play. Travis Barron had 2 assists.
November 3rd - Utah 0 Idaho 1 - Jeff Smith stopped 27 of 28 for Utah. Taylor Richart led the Grizz with 5 shots.
2019-2020 Regular Season Totals
Overall record: 3-4-2-1
Home record: 1-3-1. Grizzlies have outscored opponents 12-10 at home.
Road record: 2-1-1-1. Grizz have outscored opponents 25-21 in the road.
This Week's Games: (Utah is at Kansas City on November 8th and 9th).
Last 10 games: Utah is 3-4-3.
Goals per game: 3.70 (7th best in the league).
Goals against per game: 3.20 (11h).
Shots per game: 30.90 (15th).
Shots against per game: 29.50 (9th).
Power play: 21.8 % (12 for 55) (7th).
Penalty Kill: 83.7 % (36 for 43) (8th).
Scoring By Period
First Period: Utah 13 Opponents 10.
Second Period: Utah 15 Opponents 12.
Third Period: Utah 9 Opponents 7.
Shots By Period
First Period: Utah 105 Opponents 104.
Second Period: Utah 104 Opponents 102.
Third Period: 96 Opponents 79.
Goals: Josh Dickinson (9)
Assists: Cole Cassels (8)
Points: Travis Barron (13)
+/-: Griffen Molino (+8)
PIM: Patrick McGrath (35)
Power Play Points: Barron (8) - leads league
Shots on Goal: Taylor Richart (31)
Wins: Jeff Smith (3)
Save %: Hunter Miska (.923)
Goals Against Average: Jeff Smith (2.53)
November 22nd Orlando at Utah - Pooch on the Pond. Fans can bring their dogs to the game. America First Credit Union Friday - Tickets start at $8 for fans paying with their AFCU debit or credit card at the Maverik Center box office.
November 23rd Orlando at Utah - Angel's Hands Night (specialty jersey's that will be auctioned off after the game).
November 27th Florida at Utah - Wild Wednesday and Bud Light College Night. Tickets start at $6 for students and drink specials.
November 29th Florida at Utah - Black Friday ticket offer.
November 30th Florida at Utah - Black Friday ticket offer.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.