Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1
Wheeling, WV - The Wheeling Nailers snapped the Reading Royals' four-game winning streak, defeating Reading, 4-1, Friday at Wesbanco Arena. Hayden Hodgson scored Reading's lone goal at 2:56 of the first to tie the game, 1-1, but Wheeling snuck two by Kirill Ustimenko (25 svs., 3 GA) in the second period. The Royals are 6-4-1-0 (13 pts.) and in sole possession of first place in the North Division.
Kirill Ustimenko had a three-game winning streak snapped despite 25 saves (3 GA).
Alex D'Orio moved to 2-0-0-0 in the season series with 21 saves (1 GA).
The Royals return home for "Harry Potter" night $1 domestic drafts and $1 butterbeer on Sat., Nov. 9 at 7:00 p.m. The 2019-20 season is presented by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan.
First frame strong
The Royals have tallied in the first period in ten of 11 games this season; at 2:56 of the first, Hayden Hodgson tallied his second of the season to even the score at one. Hodgson found a puck dumped to the Wheeling right corner. It struck a divot in the boards and bounced to Hodgson at the goal line. He scooped, drove to the low slot and backhanded it through D'Orio.
Hodgson scored twice for Wichita last season before completing his season overseas in Slovakia.
2 in the middle frame
The Royals attempted two shots in the second, their fewest in a period this season, allowing the Nailers to take advantage and buzz a pair in. Christopher Brown scored his second goal of the season series on the power play at 2:05 of the second to provide Wheeling a 2-1 edge; Myles Powell hummed a cross-ice pass to Brown inside the right circle. Renars Krastenbergs scored next for Wheeling. Jan Drozg swiveled across Reading's line to the right goal line and shoved it to the sprawling Krastenbergs at net front halfway through the middle period.
The Royals remain with 100 wins in the all-time series vs. Wheeling at 100-65-17. The teams match for the 183rd time Saturday at Santander Arena. Wheeling and Reading are the most-common foes in each side's history.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.