Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest
PORTLAND, ME - The Mariners have announced that 10-year-old Ellie LaBree is the winner of the Wish Kids Design Jersey contest, sponsored by Agren. As part of a partnership with Agren and Make-A-Wish Maine, the Mariners offered the opportunity for local "wish kids" to submit jersey designs to be worn by the team during their February 1st home game against the Adirondack Thunder.
"I think this is definitely a cool one for us," said Mariners defenseman and Captain Zach Tolkinen. "Any chance we have to give back especially when kids are involved, that's huge. We're excited to wear these jerseys and we appreciate everybody for putting in their contest ideas because it's a very cool thing and something we're excited to give back with."
Voting on the top four designs took place from October 18th through November 1st, with Ellie's design receiving the majority out of over 2,000 total votes cast. Runners up (in no particular order) were Jared Conant, Aubrey Cotta, and Libby Rulman.
When Ellie was four years old, she was diagnosed with a rare cancer called orbital rhabdomyosarcoma. She went from being a carefree kid making macaroni necklaces and learning her shapes in Pre-K, to spending her days having surgeries, getting chemotherapy, blood transfusions, and receiving proton beam radiation. Ellie was a fighter during treatment and she continues to be a fighter. Since treatment ended, she has had several surgeries including cataract surgery as a result of the radiation. Ellie also receives physical therapy.
According to Ellie's mother, Candi, "she doesn't let any of that stop her. Ellie is a 10-year-old girl who is full of life and love. Rarely is she seen without a book in her hand. She also spends her time swimming, playing chess, acting, and most importantly just being a kid." The LaBrees reside in Glenburn.
The Mariners will sport Ellie's jersey design during their game on February 1st at 6:00 PM against the Adirondack Thunder. The jerseys, sponsored by Agren, will be auctioned off via the Handbid App, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting Make-A-Wish Maine, which grants life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. On average, the organization grants one wish every five days and has impacted more than 1,500 children throughout Maine since 1992.
"Everyone involved in fulfilling the wish of a child battling a critical illness is touched by the magic of the experience - magic that brings hope, strength and joy to children and their families during a difficult time when something precious to look forward to and enjoy can make all the difference," said Rebekah Roy, Marketing Manager for Make-A-Wish Maine. "We're incredibly grateful for partners like Agren and the Maine Mariners for their continued support in our mission."
Make-A-Wish Maine is also the "Stick Taps" organization of the game on February 1st, and will be running a 50-50 raffle. Ellie and all four finalists will receive a custom jersey of their design with their name and chosen number on the back. Ellie will drop the ceremonial puck, join in-game hostess Lizzie Muse and radio broadcaster Michael Keeley for interviews, and enjoy the game with family and friends in a Mariners suite.
The Mariners are home on Saturday and again on Monday for a pair of Military Appreciation celebrations, presented by Martin's Point in partnership with Bath Iron Works. On Saturday as the Mariners host Adirondack at 6 PM, the first 2,000 fans through the door will receive an exclusive lobster winter beanie, sponsored by Martin's Point. It's also a "Family Four Pack" game: families of four can get four tickets, four food and drink vouchers, and four Mariners can koozies for as low as $80. Family four packs must be purchased in advance. On Monday, November 11th, Gritty Does Portland! The world famous Philadelphia Flyers mascot will visit the Cross Insurance Arena as the Reading Royals visit at 7 PM. For more information and to purchase tickets, go to MarinersOfMaine.com, call 833-GO-MAINE, or visit the Mariners front office at 94 Free St. in Portland.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Mariners Stories
- McNicholas Nets a Pair as Mariners Take Fourth Straight
- Mariners Offer $10,000 Prize During January "Winning 3kend"
- Mariners to Offer "Skate and Scarf" Packages for Holiday Games
- Gropp, Racine Headed to AHL
- Mariners Complete Three Game Sweep of Thunder in OT Thriller