Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye
INDIANAPOLIS - Indy (4-4-0-0) hosted the Toledo Walleye (6-2-1-0) for the first time this season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum. The Fuel opened the scoring :18 seconds into the first period with a goal from Alex Krushelnyski then proceeded to take a 3-0 lead into the locker room. Toledo scored a late goal in the third period, but Indy held on to win 4-2 over the division leaders.
Indy wasted no time getting on the board, scoring the first goal just :18 seconds into the first period. A defensive zone turnover led to Alex Krushelnyski getting open in the slot and beating Pat Nagle. Strong offensive zone pressure and quick transitions led to two Indy breakaways, but Toledo was able to hold the Fuel off. Spencer Watson doubled the Fuel lead after he was given a cross-ice pass from Alex Krushelnyski, making it 2-0. :36 seconds left in the opening period, Joe Sullivan scored his first goal of the season, picking up a puck in the slot and beating Nagle over the shoulder.
Indy continued the pressure in the second period and capitalized on a strong penalty kill when Graham Knott was sprung on a breakaway, quickly beating Nagle through the five hole. Just under eight minutes into the second period, Indy was unable to score on an offensive zone chance, leading to an odd-man-rush for Toledo, making it 4-1.
The third period continued the physicality between the two teams. Late in the third period, Toledo was handed three penalties in a row, giving Indy a long 5-on-3 but they were unable to capitalize. With 18 minutes left in the third period, the Walleye attempted to mount a comeback when Tyler Spezia beat Charles Williams with a deke. Indy held on to the 4-2 lead, giving them the first win of the season over Toledo.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2019-20 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.