Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3
The Newfoundland Growlers kicked off their four-game homestand in style Friday night at Mile One Centre with a 5-3 win over the Atlanta Gladiators.
Samuel Asselin, the reigning ECHL Player of the Week, opened the scoring with 8:39 to play in the opening period after capitalizing on a cross-crease pass on a shot Maksim Zhukov couldn't get enough of to put the Gladiators ahead 1-0. Scott Pooley responded with 3:47 left in the first period showing off his baseball skills and batting the puck out of mid-air and behind Sean Bonar, on a play that needed video review but was deemed a good goal to tie the game at 1-1.
Zach O'Brien gave the Growlers a late first-period lead after slapping home a one-time pass from Marcus Power for a 2-1 game after the opening 20 minutes.
Atlanta tied the game just 28 seconds into the second period as Luke Nogard was wide open in front of the net and banged a rebound past Zhukov, but Justin Brazeau needed only 50 seconds to restore the Growlers lead after sniping a wrister off the crossbar and in for a 3-2 game.
Joseph Duszak doubled the lead at 8:26 of the second period firing home his second of the season to send the Growlers to the dressing room up 4-2 after 40 minutes.
Scott Pooley rifled his second of the night at 9:01 of the third period for a 5-2 game, and Josh Thrower responded with 55 seconds left in the game, but that's as close as Atlanta would come as the Growlers took a 5-3 victory.
Alex Gudbranson made his season debut
Scott Pooley extended his point streak to nine games
The three stars were 3 - J. Duszak (NFL), 2 - Z. O'Brien (NFL) and 1 - S. Pooley (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their four-game homestand Saturday night in a rematch against the Atlanta Gladiators, ECHL affiliate of the Boston Bruins. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com and the Mile One Centre Box Office.
Atlanta Gladiators (4-4-0-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (6-5-0-0)
Friday, November 8th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
1 - 0 1 1st ATL 11:21 S. Asselin (7) E. Neiley, D. Nesbitt V 17 18 55 59 74 H 9 10 22 36 43
1 - 1 2 1st NFL 16:13 S. Pooley (8) T. Bradley, M. Bradley V 4 20 27 28 48 H 3 11 12 14 27
1 - 2 3 1st NFL 19:05 Z. O'Brien (3) M. Power, B. Ferguson V 19 28 38 48 51 H 9 10 21 22 24
2 - 2 4 2nd ATL 0:28 L. Nogard (2) C. Corbett, J. Messner V 27 28 38 48 51 H 9 10 21 22 24
2 - 3 5 2nd NFL 1:18 J. Brazeau (4) V 8 13 19 55 74 H 3 13 17 36 39
2 - 4 6 2nd NFL 8:26 J. Duszak (2) Z. O'Brien, R. Woods V 8 13 19 21 55 H 10 13 17 21 39 43
2 - 5 7 3rd NFL 9:01 S. Pooley (9) V 8 13 17 20 51 H 12 14 21 24 27
3 - 5 8 3rd ATL 19:05 J. Thrower (1) E. Neiley V 18 21 51 55 59 H 9 11 17 22 36
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Earn Sixteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Earn Fifteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Pregame Notes: January 14 vs. Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory
- Growlers Halt the Railers 5-3, Earn 8th Straight Victory