Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester
GLENS FALLS, NY - Casey Pierro-Zabotel had two goals and an assist as the Adirondack Thunder came from behind to earn a point in a 5-4 shootout loss against the Worcester Railers at Cool Insuring Arena on Friday night.
Adirondack would break the ice just 1:44 into the opening period when Pierro-Zabotel cashed in on a rebound given up by Worcester goalie Evan Buitenhuis. The goal was Pierro-Zabotel's third of the season and the assists belonged to Gabriel Verpaelst and Conor Riley.
Worcester responded less than ten minutes later with goals on consecutive shots just 35 seconds apart. Bo Brauer and Shane Walsh each recorded their first goals of the season to put the Railers up 2-1 in the first period.
Three minutes into the second period, Railers' forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas ripped a backhander past Thunder goaltender Evan Cormier that extended the Worcester advantage to two goals. The Thunder followed up later in the second period with their first powerplay goal since October 23rd thanks to a Mike Szmatula goal at 15:38. The goal was Szmatula's second of the season and was assisted by Colby Sissons and James Henry.
It took the Railers less than three minutes to regain their two-goal lead. Connor Doherty's shot from the blue line was tipped in front by Ross Olsson for his first tally of the season. Worcester carried their 4-2 advantage into the third period.
At 13:32 of the third period, Thunder defenseman Kelly Summers took a shot from the point that was deflected on the way through and ended up behind Buitenhuis to cut the Railers lead to just one. The goal was Summers' second of the season and second against the Railers this year. Exactly four minutes later, Colby Sissons picked up his second assist of the night when his shot was blocked in front of the Worcester cage and buried by Casey Pierro- Zabotel to tie the game with 2:28 left in regulation.
It was a penalty-filled seven minute three-on-three overtime session that saw no goals but plenty of chances. Worcester's Barry Almeida and Adirondack's Robbie Payne each had a breakaway in the extra session.
After the seven minutes concluded, the game headed into a shootout. Matt Salhany scored the lone goal for Adirondack but it was Worcester's Shane Walsh and JD Dudek who beat Cormier to give the Railers the extra point.
With the shootout loss, the Thunder fall to 5-3-0-2 and gather their 12th point of the season.
Adirondack hits the road to face the Maine Mariners for the third time this season. Puck drop is set for 6pm from Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, ME.
Marvel Super Hero Four Pack
The Thunder host the Worcester Railers on November 10th at 3:00pm for Marvel Super Hero Day! Get your Super Hero Four Pack HERE and receive a pregame meet-and-greet with Spider-Man!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2019
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Crane, Gillam Push Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Take out Grizzlies in Dominant 5-1 Win Friday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Comes Back to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Cincinnati Suffers First Home Loss in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Indy Knocks off Division Leaders Toledo Walleye - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays' Stifling Defense Stymies Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Hand K-Wings First Home Loss in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Shines Again with Second Straight Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win in a Thriller with 5-4 Shootout Victory over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals 4-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Nailers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Nailers Continue Home Success in 4-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Down the Gladiators 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Arizona Assigns Prosvetov, Madsen and Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Friday's Game vs. Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Season Long Promotions Set - Norfolk Admirals
- Grizz Add Ty Lewis to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies at Mavericks Friday Night Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with Make a Wish SC Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ellie Labree Wins Wish Kids Design Jersey Contest - Maine Mariners
- Royals Seek 5th Straight, Start Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 8 vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Cool Insuring Arena to Shut Down for Two Weeks
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 Season
- Statement from the Adirondack Thunder on Suspension of ECHL Season
- Thunder's Hutchison Makes Noise During Pro Debut in Loss to Railers
- Thunder Sign Canisius Forward Nick Hutchison