P-Bruins Fall to Utica 5-2 in Finale of Four-Game Trip
Utica, NY - The Providence Bruins fell the Utica Comets Wednesday night 5-2 in the final game of their four-game road trip.The P-Bruins got goals from Jordan Szwarz and Zach Senyshyn while Zane McIntyre made his 15th start of the season in net.
The Comets opened the scoring at 10:13 of the first period, and it was a former P-Bruin who lit the lamp. Jagger Dirk sent a pass from the left wing corner to a waiting Colton Saucerman at the blueline. Saucerman walked into a wrister from the right point and his shot went through traffic to give Utica a 1-0 lead. At 12:42 the Comets doubled their lead on Reid Boucher's 13th goal of the year. Jaime Sifers fired a low shot on McIntyre from the right point that he stopped with his pad, but the rebound went right to Boucher in the left slot. He held, fired and beat an outstretched McIntyre to make it 2-0 Utica into the first intermission.
Providence controlled play for most of the second period on the strength of six power play opportunities. Their best chance came 3:02 into the frame with a 5-on-3 advantage, and the captain made sure the P-Bruins capitalized on it. Setting up along the goalline looking for a passing lane, Szwarz attempted to feed a teammate through traffic. He got a fortunate bounce as his pass went off a Comets defender and by goaltender Thatcher Demko. Kyle Cumiskey and Anders Bjork picked up assists on Szwarz's seventh goal of the season and Providence cut the Utica lead to 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Midway through the final period, the Comets regained control of the game with Boucher's second tally of the night at 8:01. Lukas Jasek tried to beat McIntyre's five-hole with a shot and, similar to his first goal, Boucher took advantage of a rebound that went to him in the right slot and made it 3-1. Zack MacEwen opened it up even further at 12:31, beating McIntyre with a wrister from the right dot to make it 4-1. Senyshyn kept Providence's hopes alive and stayed red-hot, netting a goal for the fourth game in a row. In front of Demko, he tipped in a pass from Joel Messner for his team-leading 10th of the season and the lead was trimmed to 4-2. However, with 49 seconds left Darren Archibald potted an empty net goal to seal a 5-2 Utica win.
McIntyre stopped 21-25 shots while Demko stopped 31-33 shots. Providence was 1-6 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action Friday night when they return home to the Dunk for a 7:05pm face off with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2018
- Senators Fall in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Montembeault's 41-Save Effort Earns T-Birds a Point - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Hot Comets Add Hot Sauce - Utica Comets
- Crunch Blow Past Marlies, 8-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Recap: Ramage, Blackwood Lift Devils to 5-1 Win over Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to Utica 5-2 in Finale of Four-Game Trip - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Mahura, Coreau to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Carey Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Jones Earns First NHL Recall by Edmonton - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Daniel Brickley from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Bears Sign Defender Steve Johnson to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Game #24 Preview: Tucson vs. Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Insider: No. 1 in Goals - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Release Alex Kile from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers' Annual Teddy Bear Toss Is Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Jordan Kyrou Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blackhawks Recall Sikura, Dahlstrom, Assign Fortin to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Teddy Bear Toss Night Set for Friday, December 21 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Host Crunch for North Division Tilt - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Recall Kuokkanen from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Recall Krushelnyski from Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, December 12 - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Host Penguins Wednesday for First of Three Games this Week - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sabres Assign Hunwick to Rochester on Conditioning Loan - Rochester Americans
- Roadrunners Execute Late, Beat Colorado 2-1 to Extend Point Streak - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Fall, 5-2, in Second Straight Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Snap Skid vs. Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Roadrunners Score Twice in Third Period to Top Eagles, 2-1 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.