Nailers Give Thanks to Military & Earn 5-1 Win
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers checked all of the boxes on Friday night, as they put together a great performance for all of the men and women who serve their country on Military Appreciation Night. The Nailers scored five goals, played a solid defensive game, and got great goaltending, as they defeated the Kalamazoo Wings, 5-1 at WesBanco Arena. Six different players recorded multiple points, including Cédric Paré, Justin Addamo, and Brooklyn Kalmikov, who all lit the lamp, in support of Taylor Gauthier's 28 saves.
The Nailers cashed in on a couple of great chances in the first period, and received clutch penalty killing and goaltending to take a 2-0 lead. The opening tally came at the 6:24 mark on a 2-on-1 rush. Josh Maniscalco delivered a perfect pass through the slot to Brooklyn Kalmikov, who wired in a one-timer from the left side. Justin Addamo added to the advantage with 3:22 remaining, when he won a puck battle in the corner, then got rewarded for his efforts, as he jammed in a feed from Carter Johnson on the right side of the crease.
Neither team found the twine in the middle frame, but Wheeling finished with authority in the third. Cédric Desruisseaux tacked on the first insurance marker, when he flipped in a backhander on the left side of the net, which was set up by Addamo. The Nailers followed that up with a power play strike, as Cédric Paré slammed in a one-timer from the right side. Matheson Iacopelli ended Taylor Gauthier's home shutout streak of 138:07 with a 4-on-4 rip from the slot, before C. Paré's second of the stanza put the final touches on the 5-1 Wheeling triumph.
Taylor Gauthier was fantastic in goal for the Nailers, as he thwarted 28 of the 29 shots he faced to earn his fourth straight win. Evan Cormier made 22 saves on 26 shots in goal for Kalamazoo.
The Nailers will continue their three-game home weekend on Saturday night at 7:10 when they battle the Fort Wayne Komets. That will also be the first ever Martial Arts Night, which will feature live demonstrations. The weekend will conclude on Sunday with a 4:10 tilt against Fort Wayne, and fans will be able to skate with the odd-numbered players after the game. The next Big Six Promotional Night is less than a month away, as the Nailers will celebrate Holiday Palooza on Saturday, December 3rd, with a small business holiday village, specialty jerseys, the annual Teddy Bear Toss, and more. Season memberships, Big 6 ticket plans, and single game tickets are available for the 2022-23 season by visiting wheelingnailers.com or calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers battle the Kalamazoo Wings
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2022
- Rush Edged by Idaho, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Worcester Drops First Game, Lose 4-3 to Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Mount Comeback Over Mariners In Road Victory, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Balanced Attack Leads Grizzlies to 4-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Rattle off Four Unanswered for 4-2 Win at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- MacDonald Lifts Thunder Past Oilers in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Scare Ghost Pirates in 5-3 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Pick Up Point in OT Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Griffin Scores in Overtime, Cyclones Drop Fuel, 4-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Pastujov and Boucher Generate Multi-Goal Efforts in 8-5 Loss - Iowa Heartlanders
- K-Wings Drop Road Contest to Nailers Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Give Thanks to Military & Earn 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Hand Railers First Loss with 4-3 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Cool off Mariners After Hot Start - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Growlers Rock Admirals 7-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Weeks & Willis Assigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Signs Goaltender Kasel - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Night Battle in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Ghost Pirates, November 11 at 7:30 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Starts Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Albano to Belleville - Allen Americans
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Utah, Albano to Belleville - Allen Americans
- Don't Miss Our Military Appreciation Game Presented by VyStar Credit Union on November 13 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Open Three-Game Road-Trip in Maine - Reading Royals
- Blades Take Down the Ghost Pirates in Overtime - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.